repower vs rebuild f36

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peter
Moderate User

repower vs rebuild f36

Post by Peter »

I have in 1974 F36. High engine hours, [440's] but starboard engine starting to use a little bit of oil, maybe 1 quart every four hours. Compression still reasonably good, but both the engines and transmissions are starting to get tired. I'm going to have to repower fairly soon and have been reading this bulletin board for awhile now. I have come to the conclusion, that going diesel doesn't make economic sense [for me].

My question really is whether I should be looking at an engine/transmission rebuild, or upgrading to newer engines ?

I would certainly like a little more power, realizing that yes, gas prices suck, however I'm thinking that newer technology with fuel injection etc. would be more fuel-efficient, and I could get more power for the same weight. On the other hand I'm not a technical whiz, and 1974 technology sure is easy to work on.[To say nothing of the difference in costs]

I'm not really sure where to start with this... [for example, how do I figure out what the right engine would be, would it fit the space, can I use is my transmissions rebuilt?]

Any help, or thoughts while I figure out how to go about this process on my baby would be very much appreciated. :?:
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Peter,

you have chrylser 440's... just about any gas engine will fit. In fact, you can likely get the same power out of one of todays small blocks.

As far as what to chose, there are a lot of choices and narrowing them down depends on 1) Budget 2) how mow much you plan to do yourself and 3) How the rest of your boats support systems are (which will have direct impact on #1).

I went used diesels in my 1974 F-32 and I've never regretted it. I will tell you that even used and doing it all myself, It cost me close to 30k but that included much more than just engines. I suspect a NEW gas/gear repower done professionally (drop it off and pick it up when done) will be around that figure by the time all is said and done. Hope that helps you.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

repower

Post by JuiceClark »

When I repowered from the ol' 440s to rebuilt 454s, I was amazed how the boat was about 1/2" higher afterward. I guess the new stuff is a lot lighter.

I have my carbs about as fine tuned as I can and use about 22 gallons at 18 mph. I've heard the newer injection motors use about 30% less. So, that means an injected 454 would use only 16 gallons?! I really doubt that...but maybe. (nah...no way)

I bid on a pair of injected 502s with 350 hours (425 hp would have been awesome) but didn't get them. They only went for $15k for the pair. But I'm suspicious of some of those engines...could have overheated once or something.

You can get rebuilds so cheap. I bought mine for $5K with these nice 2.5 to 1 trannies. Drop em in and burn 'em out...life is short.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Consider how much you like the boat and how long you might keep her.

Then consider how much it will cost to do the rebuild. Make this a base cost or a ground zero. Anything above this is "THE DIFFERENCE"

Now, having established that your rebuild may or may not include new oil coolers, transmission coolers, fuel lines, hoses, risers, etc, etc. Ask yourself, how much trouble free operation are you willing to pay for or are you satisfied with 20+year old hoses, lines and coolers ?

Then look at a NEW Crusader engine set up with all new EVERYTHING as compared to your own rebuild, what is the DIFFERENCE in cost.

That done, what is the additional DIFFERENCE to move up to diesel power?

Is the boat going to be worth that much more, that is the DIFFERENCE when you go to sell her sometime down the road ?

Of course with rebuilt or replacement gas engines, she will be worth no more or a bit more then than she is now. (comparatively speaking, that is) Remen=mber the engines will no longer be NEW at tat time.

Now factor in your usage HOURS per year.

That's the gravy with the diesel.

RWS
mdgpl

1qt per 4 hrs?

Post by mdgpl »

I've been there, losing (not burning) 1 qt every 4 hrs. I couldn't figure it out at first. Can you visibly see the smoke at idle? Is there a line of soot forming at your transom at the water line, exhaust ports caked with black chauk? If not, your cure might not be that bad.

This spring when I put my 73 F36 wen back in the water I had a similar problem with my port engine. I figured the first quart was just me not being able to count on the last oil change. The second quart had me puzzled. None of the symtoms above were show. Lots of power. All seemed well. Third quart really started to bug me...

Then, I happened to be running at around 3800 RPM and suddenly throttled back to avoid another boater. I dropped off plane fast and while at idle, I noticed the oil slick on the water! Once back at the dock, I poured in a quart of oil treatment, thinking I had some valve guides that were leaking or not seated. No difference. I could run dock side at high idle and the oil would just start coming out on the surface again.

After a couple weeks of extreme saddness, thinking I had a cracked block or something, it occured to me one Sat AM to check the oil cooler!! Bingo. I removed the in and out water lines from the cooler, replaced it with a small piece of pipe, but left the oil lines connected. I ran the engine again. When the engine came up to temp, the oil cooler became a fog machine. I bought a new cooler on-line and the following Saturday, put it all back together.

Hope we share a common problem and new engines are not in your future....
1973 F-36 Light & Variable
Mitch