Repower and upgrade

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Agitator

Repower and upgrade

Post by Agitator »

Guys,
I've got a 1971 F26. It has a LM318 coupled to a Paragon PV31r.
I've pulled it from the water and am going to rebuild it through the winter.
I have a LT1 350 chevy engine from a Camero that is a great running engine. I'm wondering what you guys would think about putting an automotive engine in a marine application. This boat stays in the water during the summer months but is stored during the winter. I've found a Velvet drive tran/gear assembly that is reasonable. That would give me an upgrade drive train. Other than the exhaust and cooling systems, is there any thing else I should consider?
Thanks
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I wouldn't recommend it. Your going to spend a decent amount to marinize it and the cam, and clearances aren't well suited to marine use. I'd sell the 318 and look into a used marine engine if cost is a concern.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Rebuilding an already marinized engine might be a better choice.

Don't forget to check all hoses, coolers and heat exchangers while you are in there.

RWS
Agitator

Post by Agitator »

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would be a great idea but since I had it all available..I thought I'd ask. We'll just rebuild Chrysler.
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

If you wanted more horsepower, I've got two 440's coming out of my F-36 in October. Good condition....rebuildable or run it as is.