11 meter Trojan and cored hull?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

cored hull

Post by fighterpilot »

I finally gave up on the boatus link. Probably the slowest site I have ever tried to search. Don't know what the problem is. Went to boat mfg. link and tried to bring up Trojan-- it would say "done" but nothing came up. Also tried Sea Ray which is another boat of interest. Same problem.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

I'll only mention what I know: I know for sure the 14 meter is fully cored because I took a good look at one. I also know the 13 meter is cored because I took a good look at a Katrina boat where the hull was torn open and it was cored with balsa...quite nice glass work I must add.

Now, if they changed that in different years...that's the only way I'm exactly sure. The 11 and 12 meter I don't know but have been told they're cored.

If I lived up north where my boat was outta' the water much of the year, I wouldn't worry about the cored hull nearly as much as down here in FL. My F-36 has been in the water since 1982 without a blister...damned sweet.
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

cored hull

Post by fighterpilot »

JuiceClark, thanks for the additional information. Parker and McKnew indicates the 11 and 12 meter are cored as well. Of course they could be in error, but it would be my luck if I bought one it would be cored and here in Florida with it in the water all the time that is some concern. Accordingly I am moving the 11 meter to the bottom of my list in my search for a boat. But if it had Cummins 6btas or the Cs and had a lower helm I would be tempted.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: cored hull

Post by prowlersfish »

fighterpilot wrote:JuiceClark, thanks for the additional information. Parker and McKnew indicates the 11 and 12 meter are cored as well. Of course they could be in error, but it would be my luck if I bought one it would be cored and here in Florida with it in the water all the time that is some concern. Accordingly I am moving the 11 meter to the bottom of my list in my search for a boat. But if it had Cummins 6btas or the Cs and had a lower helm I would be tempted.

Every one should have a lower helm so they can find out they don't need it ( been there ) once you get used to a flybrige its all over
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

lower helm need

Post by fighterpilot »

Prowlersfish I note your opinion, but you aren't in Florida. It is hot, muggy and no fun running a couple of hours without A/C and than station keeping without A/C or without a breeze. We bottom fish and sometimes anchor and some times don't. Will move a mile or so to another wreck etc.

I have had a flybridge boat-31 Chris Craft Commander--no lower helm--this isn't my first goat rope. I have had an express boat as well. My Stamas 32 SF runs very well from the lower helm, but boat isn't big enough. Trying to find one larger that will provide some compromise in abiltiy to run from lower helm. Express boats won't do for other considerations. Thanks for your opinion however, that's what makes a good forum.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fighterpilot , It gets almost as and muggy here so I understand that . I have been running on plane for a few hours whens its close to 100 deg. and 90+ humidity drop off plane at its like a your in a blast furnace . every time I that happens I think aboiut a/c on the brige . most folks want a lower helm and never use it (like me) but there are some would use it ( like you ) I know some that hardly use the flybrige .I look at a boat a few years back and the ladder to the bridge was missing . I ask about it . the owner said it was at home , he never used the bridge and the ladder got in the way.

if we all liked the same things life (and boats) would be boring .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

prowlersfish--I know what you mean--I had a tour of duty at Oceana in the late 50's and eary 60's. Lived in the Lynnhaven Community. Went back to that area to look at a boat a year ago and what a change. Thank goodness for GPS or I couldn't have found my way around.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I can't live without a GPS on land or water , it seemed like yesterday a road map or a chart and compass was at I needed , I am getting :( spoiled and old
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I would not discount the value of the 11 meter or any other International with a cored hull.

These hulls were well designed and constructed.

Short any damage caused by an improperly installed thru hull, a survey would reveal any problems on a particular boat allowing you to exit the deal.

Any international that has been in service thgis long with no problems with the hull is not likely to develop any assuming the vessel is properly maintained and cared for.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

cored hull

Post by fighterpilot »

RWS--Glad to hear your vote of conficence in the cored hull. The 11 meter has a lot to offer for us. With the delta conic hull there is a chance could be driven from a lower helm. Like I said, one with cummins in it would get my attention, but if I have to settle for Cats. I will probably continue looking for the early Hatteras or Chris Crafts with their solid fiberglass hulls.

Prowlersfish, do you have a lower helm in yours? If I allow the visibility might not be the best regarding a log or a crab trap could it be driven from the lower helm regarding seeing other boats, markers, etc?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fighterpilot
Yes I have a lower helm and yes it can be used safely ( if I remove my dingy and life raft canister ) I would use the trim tabs more I am sure and could get by in a pinch with the life raft canister in place . Not the boats fault just where I chose to put them. I can remember who but some one on here always uses the lower helm on a F36 .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Here's a 10.8 meter WITH a lower helm

SOLID GLASS HULL

NO WOOD IN THE STRINGERS IN THE EARLIER MODELS

add 2 cummins and a genny and you're all set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0530745718

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

cored hull and trojan boats.

Post by fighterpilot »

RWS--let me tell you my story. I have a Stamas 32 SF sitting at my barn on a triple axle trailer that i bought in the fall for $8500--including the 2006 alum. trailer with brakes on two axles. My intentions to take out the running 454 Crusader 350HP engines and put in 6bta Cummins--but no running takeouts available and the remans are too expensive when all the other work is added to the project. Everyone advised, find one someone else has already done. That is what I am trying to do. This boat you found would be better for me size wise since it has the dinette and will sleep more but it would be divorce time if I brought another project boat home. I also have a hydra-sports 2550WA we fished last summer that i am going to put on the market in a couple of weeks as well. If I had them both sold the trojan might be a consideration since it is a larger boat. I decided not to press on with the stamas for size as well as cost consideration. Oh, well.
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

I have a deposit on my F32 finally so I hope the sale goes through!.

I have also been looking at a 11 Meter and I just talked with John Leeds at Marine Tech and he informed me that all Internationals from 11 meter up are all cored hulls to include under the waterline. With that said he told me that the hull areas such as where the rudders and shafts come in were not cored.
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
Sea Play'n

11 meter cored hull

Post by Sea Play'n »

I own a 1985 11m international convertible and it is a fully cored hull. Inspect your bilge wherever there is a through hull fitting to see if the thickness tapers down where the fitting is. The other obvious place to check is pull the carpet back from the wall (hull) of the forward starboard locker and have a look at the balsa squares visible under the inner layer of glass!. Nothing wrong with the cored hull as long as it is built correctly so moisture can't enter the core at any through hull fittings. That would include adding a transducer!

Hugh