removing screens 73 trojan tri cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Bruce

removing screens 73 trojan tri cabin

Post by Bruce »

I have a 73 trojan. The screens are a little tired and need to be repaired. I can't seem to get them out the way the windows are designed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
b_critical

Post by b_critical »

Good question any responses? :?:
banks

Post by banks »

Short of disassembling the trim around the frames inside, you will not be able to. If you do go thru this, you will see a small piece of al chanel at the top of the frame, inside, which has to be removed. Be careful , the screws are difficult to remove and can be damaged, especiallly in the 36 ricabin aft windows. I found that drilling the head of the screw off and then removing the screw was the most efficient. Be carefl not to drill the chanel. It is much softer than the screw. Good luck

Jim Banks
North Carolina
dmatz

Post by dmatz »

I replaced the screens on my 72 Tri Cabin. It had screws in the bottom L shaped channel of the window frame. They were tough to get out due to corrosion. The screws are threaded into the window frame. Once they are removed you can remove the L shaped channel and tip the bottom out and slide them out of the top channel. I suggest after you get them out retapping the holes and replace with stainless screws. You may need to remove any wood molding if possible to get access to the screws. Look in the lower channel and see if you can see the screws first. Hope this helps.
Dave Matz