Toilet system has 2 holding tanks & a pump handle in bet

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DaddysGirls

Toilet system has 2 holding tanks & a pump handle in bet

Post by DaddysGirls »

Ok, so in my 1981 F32, My Mansfield 911 toilet has a holding tank directly below it. So when you flush, basically the contents just drops down & some fresh water washes through... In order to get the stuff from the tank below the toilet to the tank under the v-bunk there is a Whale MK III manual hand pump in between that has to be pumped. It pumps the toilet water up hill to the main holding tank that has the macerator attached. My Whale manual hand pump is leaking & it won't get a prime. The big rubber diaphram has a lil tear in it. Does everyone have this pump? Was this standard? Anyone replace it with an electric pump? They make a rebuild kit but i don't like the manual pump & would prefer to change it out for an electric pump. Any help would be appreciated. This is really bugging me.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Never heard of that set up , but you should be able to use a Macerator pump
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I used to have that same set-up...and did replace the diaphram that leaked.

But...I have since gotten rid of that nasty set-up. Replace your head with a fresh water toilet. The built in macerator will pump the discharge to the holding tank in the v-birth. You'll be much happier... :)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

I'm not following you... My toilet does use fresh water. What was the set up you used?
Stripermann2 wrote:I used to have that same set-up...and did replace the diaphram that leaked.

But...I have since gotten rid of that nasty set-up. Replace your head with a fresh water toilet. The built in macerator will pump the discharge to the holding tank in the v-birth. You'll be much happier... :)
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I pulled that Mansfield toilet and tank out. I then installed a Raritan toilet.
The new toilet uses a macerator at the base which grinds and pumps all waste to the holding tank under berth. There is no more need for that manual transfer pump in the locker.

Yes, the Mansfield set-up you have uses fresh water supplied from the vanity plumbing. Additonally, new system I have uses a solonoid and a switch to flush. I only mentioned fresh water because, some toilets use raw water drawn in to flush.

I have this model but with a household style bowl.

http://www.raritaneng.com/products/toil ... a_era.html
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

Ok, gotcha... So you now just use the holding tank under the v-bunk... Did you do away with the macerator pump at the holding tank? Was it an easy install? Looks pretty simple. I don't really want the extra work of replacing everything but, my macerator pump is shot & needs to be replaced & the Whale manual pump is leaking so at best i have to get a kit & rebuild it.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Very simple install. Also replace the waste hoses to the tank too, they get permeated and will be a source of smell.
I still have the macerator pump under v-berth which is for overboard discharge but the thru-hull valve's handle is removed-per USCG requirement.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

I'm going to go with the Raritan system based on what you said. Did you delete that whale hand pump? Does the Raritan pump right into the the holding tank under the v bunk without needing any extra pump? My macerator pump is shot but I can still pump out the tank by bypassing the macerator and putting power right to the pump behind the macerator.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

daddysgirl heres one option
i replaced my head last year with this raritan model. very easy install. it actually works much like a house toilet. i have had no problems with it clearing any waste. it also discharges through a 1" line rather than the larger 1.5" line making routing the lines easier also. but that shows you that it does macerate the waste quite alot. there are different configurations for setting up the unit please see the link below. i use a purasan unit so i discharge overboard so i dont have to use my holding tank. i could if i turned my y valve. but anyway you would not need another pump to pump the waste to your holding tank. if needed on my boat theres a simple deck fitting that connects to my holding tank that would empty waste at the marina without any on board pump. do you have to actually pump your waste out via the deck fitting?
i've been very pleased with my choice

http://www.raritaneng.com/products/toil ... egance.htm
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

DaddysGirls wrote:I'm going to go with the Raritan system based on what you said. Did you delete that whale hand pump? Does the Raritan pump right into the the holding tank under the v bunk without needing any extra pump? My macerator pump is shot but I can still pump out the tank by bypassing the macerator and putting power right to the pump behind the macerator.
Yes, you can eliminate the whale pump. The macerator on the new toilet will discharge waste through the head's back wall, through the hanging closet and under the berth to the tank, no problem.

Not sure I follow you about the pumping out. You don't want to discharge waste into the water...using the pump-out opening on your forward bow gunwale, at a pump-out facility is the procedure.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

This is a great option... It says it has a chopper is that the same as a macerator? My tank can be emptied via the deck fitting or it can be dumped out under the boat if you are 3 miles or more off shore. I dont want to lose the option of dumping off shore in case I'm out for a long trip & the tank fills...
g36 wrote:daddysgirl heres one option
i replaced my head last year with this raritan model. very easy install. it actually works much like a house toilet. i have had no problems with it clearing any waste. it also discharges through a 1" line rather than the larger 1.5" line making routing the lines easier also. but that shows you that it does macerate the waste quite alot. there are different configurations for setting up the unit please see the link below. i use a purasan unit so i discharge overboard so i dont have to use my holding tank. i could if i turned my y valve. but anyway you would not need another pump to pump the waste to your holding tank. if needed on my boat theres a simple deck fitting that connects to my holding tank that would empty waste at the marina without any on board pump. do you have to actually pump your waste out via the deck fitting?
i've been very pleased with my choice

http://www.raritaneng.com/products/toil ... egance.htm
DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

Ok, thank you...
Pumping out at the marina is one option but i don't want to lose the option of dumping at sea if i'm more than 3 mles off shore.
Stripermann2 wrote:
DaddysGirls wrote:I'm going to go with the Raritan system based on what you said. Did you delete that whale hand pump? Does the Raritan pump right into the the holding tank under the v bunk without needing any extra pump? My macerator pump is shot but I can still pump out the tank by bypassing the macerator and putting power right to the pump behind the macerator.
Yes, you can eliminate the whale pump. The macerator on the new toilet will discharge waste through the head's back wall, through the hanging closet and under the berth to the tank, no problem.

Not sure I follow you about the pumping out. You don't want to discharge waste into the water...using the pump-out opening on your forward bow gunwale, at a pump-out facility is the procedure.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

As long as you're off shore, as in ocean. :)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

My boat is kept at a marina in the ocean...
Stripermann2 wrote:As long as you're off shore, as in ocean. :)
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

A marina in the ocean. What's the name. I've never seen a marina right on or in the ocean. :)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders