interior wood finish from the factory?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DaddysGirls

interior wood finish from the factory?

Post by DaddysGirls »

Anyone know what Trojan used on the interior wood and where it can be purchased? I need a little standing and finishing, especially under the Windows.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

wood work

Post by aaronbocknek »

the original wood work, at least on our 1972 tri cabin, was teak. all we ever used was standard teak oil from a scandanavian store that used to be in the dc/metro area. i suggest that you use a very low voc teak oil for the interior otherwise you will get ill. i recommed and use on my f-32 AMAZON'S GOLDEN TEAK OIL. this can be found at west marine stores. and i still need to connect w/ you about the side and back interior drapes. i called the cell number you gave me but all i got was a message that the number is no longer in service. i might have jotted it down wrong. i will send you a PM asap.

aaron in baltimore.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
dollarbill

Some is veneer

Post by dollarbill »

I dont know how thick it is either... but I am pretty sure it is a veneer ply wood on my '78. At least the side by the window areas. Cabinetry looks like it is solid though.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i will suggest to call bob at beacon marine the sponser of the site and he can probably tell you.
if you do could you please post the answer i am sure others would be interested
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: interior wood finish from the factory?

Post by ready123 »

DaddysGirls wrote:Anyone know what Trojan used on the interior wood and where it can be purchased? I need a little standing and finishing, especially under the Windows.
Windows, do you mean the ports in head and dinette? If so then they are laminate, light sand would be OK. If you can get away with using a teak cleaner it would be best IMO. My wife brought the wood there back to life by using a combination of wood cleaners before re-teak oiling. If they are stained from water damage you are likely better off to replace. I used 1/2" ply teak laminate from Noah's. A specialty wood supplier in your area should be able to get ply/laminate sheets. I used the old side piece as a template to cut the new one, even copied the screw holes and it dropped right in.
Here is a pic of the finished job.... you can also see the opening ports I put in, one in the head also, this allows for airflow while away without the risk of critter entry that cracking the hatches would allow.

Here is the head one which was cleaned, note the composting head ;-)
Last edited by ready123 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
mtwolf

Interior Wood Finish

Post by mtwolf »

I have the original factory manual for my 1973 F-31. Watco teak oil finish was used, on the interior, according to the manual. I refinished all the interior wood, using Watco, several years ago. Watco is available at Home Depot. Very easy to use and provides a beautiful flat finish on the teak. I did remove the wood from the boat to do it. Slop on as much as the wood will take, wait thirty minutes, slop it on again, wait fifteen and wipe of the excess. That's it, let it dry. Hope this helps.

John
F-31 73 Trojan
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

ready 123. it's gorgous...
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Peter wrote:ready 123. it's gorgous...
Thanks Peter... how was the trip to the North channel? Any pictures?
Did you go to the Benjamin's and the nearby bridal veil falls at Kagawong?
http://www.start.ca/users/mharris/water ... wong-.html
Michael
Done Dreamin'
DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

WOW Ready123... That looks awesome! Watco was what the factory used... mtwolf is right. I hate to admit it but I have the origional manual & that's what it says as well... I guess I should have looked.
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Ready 123, enjoyed the interior pics, especially the bottle of Mt Gay. Great rum! Ever try it with ginger beer and a lemon wedge? Goes down great on a hot summer day! Yo ho ho and a ........
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

randyp wrote:Ready 123, enjoyed the interior pics, especially the bottle of Mt Gay. Great rum! Ever try it with ginger beer and a lemon wedge? Goes down great on a hot summer day! Yo ho ho and a ........
No I have not tried that mix... but we love ginger beer especially the old fashioned style so am putting that on my list to try. In my youth I drank Rum & ginger Ale which is similar but not the same. :wink:
Michael
Done Dreamin'
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Michael,

Those interior photo's are pretty damn impressive. You have done a super job with not only the teak but everything else too. Did I say impressive??

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters