saltwater flush systems or closed cooling

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Missused

saltwater flush systems or closed cooling

Post by Missused »

Thinking of bringing my 1985 F32 from lake Erie to the gulf of Mexico and I have concerns about the salt water on the engines and a/c unit. Currently the engines (270 crusaders) and the a/c unit are cooled with raw water intake. Any ideas?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The A/c systems will be fine ,just make shure you have a straner to catch jelly fish . putting a fresh water cooling system on is not a bad idea , but many boats use raw water cooling in salt water and still get years out of them . flushing of course will help
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

a ball valve and garden hose quick disconnect (WITH A SAFETY CAP) will allow you to flush your AC unit, genset and engines after each use.

My engines are fresh water cooled, but I still flush the heat exchangers and AC after each use.

It takes just a few minutes.

I don't like the idea of saltwater bathing those components 24/7 while the boat is sitting.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Missused

Post by Missused »

Hey, thanks guys! Great website and forum
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I am in salt water 100% in southern California, I would switch to a closed system if you can or you will not only be replacing risers every 4 or 5 years, you'll also be replacing manifolds as well, one round of replacments you would have paid for a closed cooling system.

You will also have a shortened life on all components that are normally cooled by coolant, such, thermostat & housing (aluminum) engine block, water pump and its seals etc.
The warm baja water also increases marine growth and galvanic corrosion, as the warm salt water and the numerous dissimilar metals on your boat create the perfect electrolyte.
good bottom paint and proper zincs for salt water are a must. I have friends that have had their boat in Baja, and apparetly dry rot is an issue because of rain and the humidity , so keep an eye out for that as well.

hope this helps
DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

I'd love to see a pic of this set up or hear more details on how to make it. It sounds like a great idea but I can't picture it.
RWS wrote:a ball valve and garden hose quick disconnect (WITH A SAFETY CAP) will allow you to flush your AC unit, genset and engines after each use.

My engines are fresh water cooled, but I still flush the heat exchangers and AC after each use.

It takes just a few minutes.

I don't like the idea of saltwater bathing those components 24/7 while the boat is sitting.

RWS
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

here is a safety seacock conversion, keeping you from changing the whole thing out.you would use the service adaptor and fit for a garden hose . otherwise you'll have to pull the boat and install the safety seacock itself.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ?pid=14693
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
DaddysGirls

Post by DaddysGirls »

Thank you... I'm going to give this a shot.
g36 wrote:here is a safety seacock conversion, keeping you from changing the whole thing out.you would use the service adaptor and fit for a garden hose . otherwise you'll have to pull the boat and install the safety seacock itself.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ?pid=14693