Frozen Keel

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Frozen Keel

Post by Paul »

There have been a lot of postings in the past about hallow keels and how to get the water out of them to eliminate bad odors in the bilge. I guess I'm lucky that I don't have this odor problem to deal with so I've never considered drilling holes or adding pumps to get the water out. It does however make me wonder how much water is in the keel? After 29 years of freezing winters why are there no cracks in the glass from the ice expanding?

Should this space be filled?
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

I recently bought a '75 36' Tri-Cabin and was noticing that hollow keel with water in it. I was thinking of filling it up with West Marine epoxy to raise up the bottom so water couldn't get down so low & make it easier to dump out with the bilge pump. Any thoughts?

Dave Kane
Safari

Post by Safari »

I did something like that once. When you use epoxy to fill a large area, you can sometimes get thermal runaway. I had heat, smoke, with no way to stop the process. Be careful......
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

could fill with foam make sure you put a lot of holes on to so the foam has some place to go then glass over the holes
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

Ecxellent advise! Thank you! If I foam, then epoxy over, I may lay in some metal rods lengthwise to add stiffness.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Wouldn't the foam tend to absorb water after a little time? I've done a few stringer repairs on boats that used foam in the floor for floatation. Every time I found the foam completly saturated with water.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If you epoxy over it . It should seal it pretty well , also use a good grade foam . and if you still got some water in it would you be any worst off ?we did this on a f30 to get rid of a bad smell and its been a few years and been doing fine .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Leave it open and install a diaphram pump with a suction hose on it to pump out the water. That's the way my last boat ('73 Chris Craft 28') came and the keel never stunk up the boat, froze and busted or otherwise caused any grief.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina