New Member 30' Trojan Sea Raider Re-Powered?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Trojan Dave

New Member 30' Trojan Sea Raider Re-Powered?

Post by Trojan Dave »

Hello All,

Just purchased a 30' Trojan Sea Raider. I am new to Trojan and have a couple of questions that some others may be able to help me with.

The boat has a single screw direct drive 280. I assume that this is a 280hp Chrysler big-block. How can I tell if it's a 383 or 400 cid?

The aft deck has two access hatches. I am assuming that this has been re-powered with a single screw. Does this sound right or did Trojan use the identicle aft deck for all models?

I have looked and read many posts and am still confused about whether I now own a F30 Sea Raider / 30' Sea Raider Express / or 30' Sea Raider Hard top. It does have a hard top, but I am unsure as to what the correct model is.

She has a fiberglass hull and teak for and aft deck.. the foredeck needs some refinishing and possibly some repair. I have checked for "spungy" areas and everything appears good, but I still have to give her a better look. I am quite handy at woodworking and have made canoes and such in the past, so I am confident that anything that needs repairing in the wood department that I can handle - with a bit of luck and alot of effort!

Many thanxs,
Dave
30' Trojan Sea Raider Hard Top - 400 Big Block
27 Chrysler Hotrod 2-Door Coach
26 Dodge Hotrod Pipick-up
16' Stripper Canoe
Everyday is a gift...live it up!
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Welcome To the Site

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the fourms . if you have a Sea Raider you don't have a F30 . the F30 was glass top and bottom . Can you post a Photo ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Trojan Dave

Post by Trojan Dave »

I will post a photo - once I figure out how???

OK.. thanks for that.... it does have a wooden deck and fiberglass hull.

Dave[/img]
16' Stripper Canoe
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Congratulations on the purchase!

Wood deck and glass hull - its one of the older ones. Very early 70's. The '280' is horsepower, and it will be a 383 like my father's old 28' woodie from 1969 had.

I had thought all the 30's were twin engine, but I could be wrong. If it has been repowered, you should be able to see where holes from the old shaft and rudder stuffing boxes have been filled. Also, it should be pretty obvious from the dash (dual sets of gauges / throttles / gear shifts or holes from where the old used to be) - unless the dash has been completely rebuilt... Plus if it has 2 or more fuel tanks it probably started out as a twin.

I think the 'Express' designation simply meant it was not a 'Sedan'.... ie express means open cockpit. You can have an express with either hard top, or soft top. In '69 they made versions of the 'Express' in 25, 26, 28, and 31' lengths. Into the early 70s I think the 31 became a 30...

Places to look for problems up front : around the forward hatch, window channels for the side cabin windows, the front cabin windows themselves, and the deck around the corners of the front window framing. Poke your head in the anchor locker via the access hatch at the front of the v-berth and take a good look / poke around from underneath as well.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Trojan Dave,

I could be wrong but I think the first year of the 30 foot Sea Raider was 1972. In that year they continued manufacturing the 25 foot Sea Raider model too.
In regard to whether it came with dual or single engines - apparently it came in both configurations - please see below: (from Iboats/Trojan Yachts

1972 30 Sea Raider

This inboard cruiser has a fiberglass hull, is 30 feet long and 132 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 8100 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers.

Information on this page is provided to you as a free service of iboats.com. Because this information has come from many sources we can not guarantee its accuracy. Even if this information is the same as the original factory specs, boats are sometimes modified. Thus, for safety and other reasons, it is a good idea to verify information here to make sure it matches up with your boat. For additional information, we recommend the iboats forums and a boating safety course.
Engine Information:
This boat may have come with the following or other engines :
(In the interest of safety, never exceed the manufacturer's maximum horsepower rating for your boat.)
430 hp with 2 engines ( 215 hp per engine)
450 hp with 2 engines ( 225 hp per engine)
270 hp
280 hp

Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new purchase.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Trojan Dave

Post by Trojan Dave »

OK All.

If I did this correctly, follow the link below and you should see some pics of our new boat.

Any insight?

http://home.cogeco.ca/~hotrods/trojan.html

thanxs,
Dave
16' Stripper Canoe
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

T Dave:

I believe the Model 309 30' Sea Raider was introduced in 1970. It was offered in both single and twin inboard form. Most twins got 225HP Chrysler 318's. And depending on the model year, singles got a Chrysler 'B' family big block of either 383 or 400 cu. in. displacement. Both the M383 and M400 were offered in 280hp form. Chrysler increased the 383's bore in 1972 in response to recently mandated automobile emission controls. But you can Google 'Chrysler Casting Numbers' to verify. The casting number can be found on the left side of the block.

Here's one link: http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-engine- ... mbers.html

Most sites list 'known' casting numbers, but none seems to be complete.
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
Trojan Dave

Post by Trojan Dave »

Thanks for that jon-e. Good to know. I will check it out when I get her home.

Really looking forward to driving her home this weekend...hope all goes well. :shock:

Dave
16' Stripper Canoe
Empty Wallet

Re power

Post by Empty Wallet »

I have a 1970 trojan sea raider express cruiser
glass hull wood top
It has a single chevy 350 small block
it was an option vs twin Chrysler 318's
So it was probably not re powered.
let me know if you have any more questions
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Welcome Trojan Dave. I have a 1972 30 foot Sea Raider with fly bridge. Glass hull, wood from there up. You can see from my Avatar that is looks just like yours but with a fly bridge. Mine is twin engine and the previous owner re-powered with 330 hp FI mercs. He also replace the forward teak deck and glassed it over. You won't be disappointed, I have had this boat for 3 years and love it.........John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Trojan Dave

Post by Trojan Dave »

Thanks to all who replied.

John - very nice!

We had our maiden voyage bringing her home this past weekend. A few gremlins but nothing toooo serious. Really like the look and layout. Very comfortable compared to our old aft cabin Doral 24'. My wife and I are already talking about a couple of trips for next year.

I'd like to get the gremlins eradicated quickly! One is gone (electrical - no charge issue), but the other I am still working on - overheating over 1200 rpm's...impellers I think...

I have had a thorough check throughout the boat and the wood is in great shape - other than cosmetics on the forward deck . all else checks out A-OK..

Love the hardtop!

Dave
16' Stripper Canoe
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

prowlersfish wrote:You may have better luck on a computer forum then a boating one
You forgot one comment, 'HERE'S YOUR SIGN' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

It's to early in the yr to call but I bet that wins dumba** of the yr.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/