1991 Trojan 10.8 Meter Express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

1991 Trojan 10.8 Meter Express

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I am looking at a 1991 10.8 Meter Express. There is very little info out there on the Express model of the 10.8, which was only made from 91 to 92. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this model, good or bad. I know this looks very similiar to the later 370/390/400 Carver edition, which brings up another question, does this model (the express) have the deltaconic hull. I know Carver was unable to use the patented hull on there models, but this boat looks identical to the ones Carver put out for nearly a decade.

Thanks for any input.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum.

Many on here have the International Series Trojan and will no doubt give you great info on the one you are considering. From what I have read on here, the International Series were the only Trojans with the Deltaconic hull.

Good luck with the one you are considering. Hope it works out for you. Trojans are great boats.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

It is my understanding that the Carver aquisition in 1993 killed the Trojan Deltaconic hull.

There is a big difference between the Lancaster built Trojans and the Pulaski,WI Carver-Trojans.

I believe your 10.8 International SHOULD BE a Deltaconic Hull design, however I cannot confirm this.

Here's what the hull SHOULD look like...

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

The boat is in the water right now. I will have the surveyor look at this when it gets pulled. I was more enthusiastic until they started comparing the Carver built 370/390/400 to the 'old' 10.8 Meter International Express. I haven't been able to find anyone that own a 10.8 express to talk to. My surveyor said he has not found one surveyed to make a comparison either. Because of that, they are comparing this boat to to popular Carver built, which have not received great quality surveys in the past.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The only thing the Carver built Trojans and the Lancaster built Trojans have in common is the name.

Different hulls, different designs different EVERYTHING!

The Lancaster built 10.8 Internationals are a stretched version of the popular 10 Meter series.

Here's a link to a 10.8 review by David Pascoe.

Trojan 10.8 Meter Convertible - With Comments on the 10 Meter

Rated a BEST BUY

by David Pascoe

RWS

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/ ... 8meter.htm
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Thanks for the information. I hear you in regards to the differences. The only thing that concerns me is that I looked at a 1994 Carver-Trojan 370 and the Trojan 10.8 Meter International Express, and they are very similiar in appearance and layout. I was only hoping Carver did not get involved prior to 94 and Carver was just using the last Trojan express design for there own design of boat.

I am planning on making an offer on the boat. I will let you know how it goes with the survey.

Todd
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Have a survey on Friday, so I should have the official on the hull. The boat yard that we are doing the survey at has a 1994 Carver Trojan 370 Express in dry storage, so I went over and took a look at the hull. Definitely not the Delta Conic. The boat has almost no noticable chine. The 10.8 Express is in the water, so we will take a look after the sea trial and after we have it hoisted. I will take photos. Hoping all goes well.
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

I know one owner of the 10.8 meter and they love it .

BTW there is nothing wrong with a carver ( just don't tell T-- I said that )

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Don't mean to offend anyone (but it will I am sure), so will say it anyways .... Re this comment :
RWS wrote:It is my understanding that the Carver aquisition in 1993 killed the Trojan Deltaconic hull.
The Carver acquisition didn't kill the Deltaconic hull -- it killed all of Trojan. There will never be a *REAL* Trojan built again - ever - thanks to Carver's decision to destroy all the molds and build only inferior quality floating condo-crap going forward, and stick a name plate that says 'Trojan' on some of them.

I swear - there was a 34+ footer at a boat show a couple
of years ago - brand new quarter of a million dollar boat - the access door to some storage in the cockpit almost came off in my hand when I tried to open it, the latch and hinges on it looked like they came from a dollar store, and the door itself was so thin it was almost transparent. Cheapo crapo Carver crud. Sorry, but that's they way I see it.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

yes you did :wink: but it didn't, And I agree you with on some of the stuff that ALL boat makers have done in the past 15 yrs is make it lighter,thinner and as cheap as they can. They all forget there's no re-placement for dis-placement. And cheap hardware is everywhere since almost all of it is made in China. But I understand :(

I to would buy a PA. over a WI made boat. But after looking for 2 yrs I settled for for 2nd best IMO.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:Have a survey on Friday, so I should have the official on the hull. The boat yard that we are doing the survey at has a 1994 Carver Trojan 370 Express in dry storage, so I went over and took a look at the hull. Definitely not the Delta Conic. The boat has almost no noticable chine. The 10.8 Express is in the water, so we will take a look after the sea trial and after we have it hoisted. I will take photos. Hoping all goes well.
Todd,
How did your survey go? Are you going to be a new owner?
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

The survey went fairly well. Some items of deficiency were the air conditioning was inoperable and the port side stuffing box was leaking steadily. The boat was rated as "Fair" in condition. The engines started quickly with no problems and ran well with no smoke (660 hrs with two new distributors and wires). The structure was reported as "the dryest and most solid boat I think I have ever surveyed". The value of the boat was after the survey was $46,000, and I have any accepted offer of $36000, so I think I may be a new Trojan boat owner. The broker has agreed to fix the two above deficiencies, so I am pretty happy. It will need some TLC from 4 years of limited use. I will have many questions. I will try to post the PDF survey report if I can figure out how to do it.

Todd
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Is this the 10.8 meter express in Ft. Lauderdale?

I'm curious to know how it turns out for you. Did it have the delta conic hull?

I saw one listed a while ago with diesels that looked interesting.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Survey went pretty well. The problems with the boat are from years of non use and not structure or build integrity. Matter of fact, between the surveyor and a marine mechanic, both said this boat is one of the best built they have seen. They both said I would be doing catch up work on the neglected systems for awhile, but I figured I was going to have to replace things anyway after 20 years.

This boat is in Rochester. There are very few 10.8 Meter expresses, since they were only built for a year before Trojan went to Carver. I saw the diesel in Florida, and to be honest, this boat probably needs diesels. Dry weight is reported at 17,500 lbs, and it is every bit of that. These crusaders work very hard, and consume a lot of fuel doing it.

I am, so far, happy with my project boat. I have shown quite a few people this vessel, and all are very impressed. Lots of room both topside and below. So far I've had to change out the macerator pump, shower sump, and have the ac/heat serviced. Onan 6.5 was serviced and the carb was rebuilt before the closing, and works great. I ordered a fuel gauge, which was inoperable. The potable water holding tank smelled rancid, so that has had its 3rd pump out, and I might do it again. I think I burned out my hot water heater element, because I foolishly left the HW heater on after I pumped the tank, and didn't refill it till the next day. So that needs to be replaced.

I'm learning as I go.
CaptMike

Trojan 10.8 meter

Post by CaptMike »

Hi there. I am a fellow 91 10.8 meter in Excelsior, MN on Lake Minnetonka... So a freshwater boat and always has been. I am glad to see another owner on here. My boat is rock solid and had the same deficiencies in terms of leaks in the stuff box, some plumbing leaks, and the rest of the fix its were normal. I replaced almost all of the bilge pumps (out of paranoia of being too old), shower pump, water heater eliment, my ac/heat worked fine but just needed to be cleaned, and a couple breakers. I am still working on finding a couple of little leaks, but it is mainly due to seals being worn out and not serviced over the years by the previous owner. My 454s run consistently at 4300 to 4600 so I am happy with that. I still have original carbs that are due to be rebuilt or replaced, but with a little tweaking, we are just fine so far with those.