I'm gonna buy a Trojan!!!!! (I think) Please help me decide.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

John W. Burnette

I'm gonna buy a Trojan!!!!! (I think) Please help me decide.

Post by John W. Burnette »

I am considering a F32 Trojan. Convertible, I guess? Anyway, it was taken out of the water in 2000 according to the marina. It has twin 360's and that's all I know of the engines. Foredeck is rotten and very soft when stepped on.. about a 6' x 2.5' area. How much will that cost me? And how hard for me (the amateur) to fix? Structural integrity looks fine. Floor in the little bathroom kitchen area is "soft"... about a 2x2 spot. wood.... all around is grey and no longer protected.... gauges and panel area is very weathered. Plywood floor on the back deck is rotten. But then you look at her as a whole and think man she's beautiful. And the next thing you think is "I'd like to get my hands on the asshole who would leave her out here to weather like this for seven years".... but Anyway, what do you guys think? Will I get hurt in the deal? For 4 g's?
Also, what do I have to be careful of? I appreciate any help or advice you Trojan lovers can give.

Thanks,

John
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Words of wisdom from a marine architect - "There are Great Values in Used Boats. But the Cost is More Than Just the Price" David Pascoe

Go to his website and start reading. There are volumes of good advice:
http://www.marinesurvey.com/

You are the only one who can judge if you can get hurt with a cost of $4K. I bought a 1975 Trojan F26 (single screw) for $5K in 2004, that was in bad shape, (but probably not as bad as the one you are describing). I've spent over $10,000 (I gave up counting accurately) on re-powering, lumber, fiberglass, electrical and plumbing parts, and hundreds of hours of labor to bebuild or replace just about everything mechanical and electrical.

I enjoy do it yourself projects, but sometimes the time committment is overwhelming. I've had some extreme frustrations over things not working out the way I expected. Although eventually, I overcame the problems and I've had some great times on the water with this boat. I still have a 32 year old boat, and I will probably never be able to recover my cost, let alone begin to recoup something for my labor. BUT - very few boat owners will ever be able to recover the cost of their boats. Remember a boat is an expense, not an investment.

You need to assess the details of the boat's condition and should put together a budget to see where you would really stand. Are the engines running? Repowering is expensive. I spent $5-6K on one engine for a re-manufactured long block and doing most of the work yourself. You should plan on something around $10k per engine for professional re-powering.

Look for basic structural flaws before taking the plunge. The stringers along the hull that support the engines must be solid.

One thing to watch out for is the fuel tank. Old tanks corrode out and develop leaks that can turn into a deadly fire. If you are replacing the deck and the fuel tank is 20+ years old, you should seriously think about replacement.

It also matters, what do you have in mind for boating? If you want to sit at the dock or the mooring and enjoy a "floating summer cottage," then maybe you don't need to pay a lot of attention to the engines. If you want to get out and cruise, then you need reliable power.

The two happiest days in the life of a boat owner are: The day he buys it and the day he sells it!

Good Luck!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
JuiceClark
Moderate User

where are you

Post by JuiceClark »

John,
Ditto what Chuck said. May I ask where you're located? If a Trojan veteran is nearby he may take a look and give you a guess a what you're lookin' at.
A rotten core and string problem is a bitch. But fuel tanks, engines, wiring, etc. could make this a lot more $$ than buying a boat in great shape. It's just hard to tell until someone whose done it can take a good look.

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 59430&url=
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Check the stringers

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

With the rot that you have on top, I would take a hard look at the stringers which run fore to aft and under the engines. Make sure you poke all around under the limber holes in the stringers and this is where the fiberglass stops and there is no protection for the wood from the water. Over time they can dry rot into dust under the fiberglass. If the stringers are solid and the engines run and are not seized up, it might be worth a few thousand for the hull in good shape but man is it a lot of work.

Sort of like being married. Good Luck.
rossjo
Ultimate User

send us pix or a link ...

Post by rossjo »

Send us some pix or a link ...

That spingy deck is a lot of work! Do the engines even run? Trannies shot? Have you ever owned a boat? Large Boat? Twin Engines?

Sometimes you just fall in love. If you love Trojan F32s ... look around 1st (that $4k is more than a marriage - and cannot be easily annulled).

If you love the idea of a project ... look around as well - sometimes the most fun is looking. Once the problem is yours ... its your!

Just make sure ... and then do what you feel is right! You've got a great support network here!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

John,

I don't mean to discourage you but as one that has done what your thinking about, please consider what the folks here are telling you. for my part, I'll say this. A decent - but not a spectacular F-32 should be worth in the 20-30k range depending on age and condition. Without even seeing the boat your talking about, I would bet dollars to donuts that you will spend 2-3 times your purchase price, and a whole bunch of sweat equity, before you realize it will take even more to be on par with some of "those decent- but not spectacular" boats.

It is marraige- A 32' boat is enormous, complex and seriously work and commitent intensive. If (1) the boat has potential, (2) you enjoy doing this type of work long term and (3) your not looking to come out ahead finacially- then go for it. If any of these 2 areas is lacking, you might want to rethink this.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Great Advice

Post by rossjo »

great advice JAV!

"If (1) the boat has potential, (2) you enjoy doing this type of work long term and (3) your not looking to come out ahead finacially- then go for it. If any of these 2 areas is lacking, you might want to rethink this."
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Pittf30

Post by Pittf30 »

Reading up, I'm the guy who did what you were considering. 1974 f30 Tabu just arrived in Mobile from Chicago after approx 1200 miles, a quarter or so of the loop. Really awesome adventure, great mechanical luck, I love my trojan and plan to be true- on the rotten topsides, mushroom growing cabin crusty swollen core hardtop. luckily marina space is relatively cheap , in a year it will be more than the boat cost. 2k, and all systems work. In hindsight, with it being such a buyers market, what would six or eight grand have bought, when the previous owners love is not really recoupable.- think of the vintage muscle car who's owner put 1ooo hours of love for his 10k as apposed to the rusty hulk for 500.00 that you would fix up. just saying..... by the way, some of us never saw a old boat tha we didn't want to offer a good home! Pitt
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

its not a rational decision,, I make educated bets in business, in boats I just pay the money and dont worry about a return,, I like the maintenance and rebuilding. now that its mostly done Im a little lost. guess I'll buy another one.. :wink: a little bigger.. :wink:
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD