Sea Hunt

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rap55

Sea Hunt

Post by rap55 »

Would Mike Nelson ( Loyd Bridges ) have chosen something like a SeaRay or Bayliner over a Trojan ? Not a chance !

Rick / F-36 / MissKitty
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The Argonaut was and is a Lancaster, PA built Trojan

More information on Mike Nelson's boat:

San Diego California is the home port of ARGONAUT. Argonaut is the famous 33 ft TROJAN Express Cabin Cruiser used by Lloyd Bridges as Mike Nelson in the 1960's underwater adventure TV series "Sea Hunt.".

Under the warm Southern California sun in 1960, In its third season the cast and crew of Ziv Productions began filming Americas number one syndicated underwater adventure weekly TV show, Sea Hunt. Many technical advances had been made in the field of scuba diving for recreation or research since the shows first season in 1958. Ziv and Lloyd knew that the new ARGONAUT had to be first class in every way. Said to be requested by Lloyd Bridges himself, a brand new 33 foot Trojan Sea Breeze Model 346 Express Cruiser with Fly-bridge was custom built and delivered to Ziv Productions Hollywood California.

Upon receiving the work order, Trojan boat company located in Lancaster P.A. made sure that only their top shipwrights built the ARGONAUT . American reputation, quality and pride had to be maintained. For many generations Amish men in Lancaster P.A. had carried on the family tradition of building wooden vessels. As we further explore through restoration, we discover that the design and quality in ship building is flawless. Trojan ship designer, William K. Smith oversaw production and quality of Serial number 1018. The ARGONAUT was also used by Lloyd as his personal family boat even after the show ended.

In March 2000, the Argonaut was put into dry-dock for its millennium refit. In order to continue with tradition, this brave vessel needs to be re-varnished, repainted, re-chromed and resealed. It was decided that only the finest materials and time honored traditions for shipbuilding would be Applied to the Argonaut. The Argonaut is all original and is in great shape, all equipment such as depth finder, radio and sonar are in tact. The twin Crusader engines and original instruments still work perfectly. Some parts are just too old and worn to be used and so for safety sake they will be replaced by brand new identical parts.

By summer 2002, Argonaut plans to once again ply the California coastline and appear at boat shows and other major events. To carry on with the Lloyd Bridges legacy, Argonaut will work closely alongside other environmental agencies concerned with keeping our oceans clean and safe. So please visit http://www.wm2050 .org and help support this effort then ask how you could become an honorary crew member today and help us make clean and safe oceans a top priority this new millennium.

Here's a link that appears to be expired at this time
seahuntadventures.com/Argonaut/argonaut.html

If you remember the TV show here's a better one just for fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43iMY-t6nUI

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Wow - what memories that brought out. I watched Sea Hunt every week and it was my favorite TV show. I never knew that ARGONAUT was a Trojan - but it doesn't surprise me either. Even then I was getting the subliminal message about Trojans.

Thanks for sharing.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Thanks AWS........ I didn't know either.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

While Lloyd Bridges was the solo star of the series (unless you include the Scuba gear), a young new female star was brought in after 117 episodes had been shot. Her name was the Argonaut, a 33-ft 1960 Trojan Sea Breeze. The Argonaut and Argonaut II names were used on numerous boats that Ziv rented and used in the first three seasons including a Chris-Craft and a 1955 wooden Eddy Craft that included a prop that was supposed to be an underwater TV monitor. But the boat that fans say is the "real" Argonaut was purchased by Ziv United Artists Television and shipped to Ziv Productions in Hollywood on September 21, 1960 from the Trojan factory in Lancaster Pennsylvania. The model 346 Express Cruiser (Serial #1018) was purchased as a part of a revamping program for the fourth season designed to head off the third season sinking ratings. The 12-ft beam boat with mahogany and teak planking sported a custom built fly-bridge. Built by Amish shipwrights (craftsmen) and fitted with optional twin 240-hp Crusader Interceptor engines with reverse screws, the Argonaut would only play an occasional role in the plot during the final 38 shows in season four. Trojan boat designer William K. Smith personally monitored the production and assembly of this boat knowing it was for SEA HUNT. Ivan Tors derived the boat's name from the ancient Greek tale of Jason and his ship the "Argo", built by the master ship builder Argo. Argonauts were the Argo's crew members that traveled with Jason in search of the Golden Fleece. Restoration of this classic boat is nearing completion in San Diego. The Argonaut is available for TV appearances, movie productions, and boat shows.

Bridges and his family used this boat after the show ended according to one source. In a November 2007 interview, Jeff Bridges was asked about The Scuba Guy's assertion that the Bridges family used the boat but he couldn't recall ever doing that.

The Argonaut, like any important actress, had a stunt double on a Ziv United Artists Television sound stage in West Hollywood. Resting on piles of tires so stage-hands could rock the boat, the engineless and mastless Argonaut sat in front of a large rear-screen where ocean scenes were projected to create close-up dialog shots of Mike Nelson as if he were miles out to sea. This common-place technique of filming close-ups with live dialog is known as "process shooting".

In most episodes, the Argonaut's marine radio fictional call sign was WM-2050. In pilot episode 1B Ziv #1.4, "Mark of the Octopus", the call sign was WA-1005. In Ziv #1.24, "Pressure Suit", the call sign was G57. In Ziv #1.11, "Killer Whale", the call sign was WHL5. In Ziv #2.15, "Nerve Gas", Mike is on the "Chinook" and the call sign was 2XL. These call signs are used in both U.S. and foreign waters. None of these call signs are in 3 x 4 F.C.C. marine call sign format issued at the time.

from http://home.comcast.net/~bill.jones.scu ... rivia.html
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
rossjo
Ultimate User

Leonard Nimoy in Sea Hunt

Post by rossjo »

rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

WOW!!! Mr Spock that young. AWESOME

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

You guys are awesome. Such a wealth of knowledge. I never knew any of this.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rap55

Sea Hunt

Post by rap55 »

I thought ya`ll might find the story of the Argonaut interesting. Is it any wonder why we had to have a Trojan ?

They also had a Mock-Up Trojan on the studio set . They mounted it on old car tires so the crew could rock her back and forth to film some of the open-water shots while a screen in the background showed scene`s of the ocean. What a boat ! I guess I was being programed to own a Trojan from childhood...

Good thing I did`nt watch to much Sky King !!!

Rick - F-36 / MissKitty
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I've never seen Leonard Nimoy in film that long ago when he was that young. I watched the original Star Trek series when it came out in the late sixties but this was obviously long before that.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Robert Conrad's 1st Television appearance was as the captain of the boat that the announcer and others go out on to monitor the race in the Sea Hunt episode called "The Stunt" (6th episode of 2nd season in 1959), where a woman diver challenges Lloyd Bridges to an underwater race from Palos Verdes to Catalina Island for a $5k prize.

2:23 into the the video ...
Imagehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LLtnJhXiik
rap55

Sea Hunt

Post by rap55 »

Hey Rossjo,

Sorry for posting some of the Trivia you had already put-up. Must have overlooked it when I read your post. Regardless, I love that stuff and figured most every Trojan owner already knew about the Sea Hunt / Trojan / Bridges connection.

Rick - F-36 / MissKitty
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

That was my favorite TV show when I was young. It started my water fetish, first scuba diving in the early 70's and boating early 90's till now. I still have two comic books squirrelled away, # 10 July/Sept '61 and # 13 April/June '62.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

ok some of you are telling your age. I've never seen the show :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Tony , is telling the truth ,as he grew up with the Lone ranger on am radio , first saw tv in the navy . :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D