How to sink an F-36

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JuiceClark
Moderate User

How to sink an F-36

Post by JuiceClark »

It's not easy to sink an old tank like an F-36. So, when I saw this one on YachtSalvage.com I wondered what did it:

http://www.yachtsalvage.com/Listings/YS072067.htm

It looks like the macerator vented below the waterline and the hose broke. I know mine empties well above the waterline. Everyone may want to check their vulnerability to this. Seems like the poor boat must have been neglected. With four bilge pumps and on shore power, I doubt that could sink mine....right?

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Tony, thanks for mentioning that reminder. Almost a year ago, my friend's F32 sank at this dock in the Washington Channel in Washington, DC. The exhaust hose came loose and over a short period of time, getting on and off the boat and going unnoticed, the boat finally sunk. This boat was his home at the time.

rossjo
Ultimate User

Not easy?

Post by rossjo »

Not easy? Why? Its very easy to sink an F36 or F32 or most any vessel. I see it a lot. Neglect of power, pumps, hoses, thru-hulls, shaft logs, etc.

Its a shame, but good maintenance will avoid this issue.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
JuiceClark
Moderate User

can't be that easy

Post by JuiceClark »

I can't imagine what would sink mine! Of course, that probably means it will sink tomorrow. But with 3 5k gallon per hour pumps, a 1k pump with a loud alarm if it goes off and all hooked up to shore power, if it gets a big enough hole to sink it without anyone noticing I'll have to blame it on aliens.
Besides the water intakes for the engines and a/c, what else can leak? My exhaust is almost all out the water. I guess I'm looking for the bus I don't see that's about put a treadmark across my face.

Tony
mintregila

Post by mintregila »

If you close the seacock on the overboard discharge since you can't discharge in most inland waters anyway, problem solved. All other hoses should be in good condition and double clamped.

The only other sinking I know of occurred when during a hurricane, the concrete pier collapsed onto the swim platform ripping out the brackets. Can't plan for that.
Mark I.
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

whare my gem is thairs 14 other woodies and 6 fiberglss boats the avg is 4 per year due to neglect the marina is like a asst living for boats the next stop is the boan yard. my baot is next to a 40pluss tri cabin thats sank 4 times in 6 years and shes was listting to the port side for the last week till someone desided to check the shor power the braker was triped . i made a simple cirkit with one 120vac 3 pole dt relay if my shor power gose out the relay drops out and my 3 12volt pump are powerd
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Did you notice the head 'pump overboard' fitting? I'll say it again: If you leave the original Groco through hulls on your boat, it's a matter of time before this is you.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

yeah, those grocos looked cheap. Mine are long gone but the macerator through hull is like a foot above the waterline anyway. Maybe I'll take it for a fast ride in oyster bar country tomorrow to see if the unsinkable theory holds?

TC