Water Leaks in a 12M International

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tgcasey

Water Leaks in a 12M International

Post by tgcasey »

I am a new Trojan owner (12M International). I am in the process of re-fitting the boat and one of the biggest problems is water leaks. It appears to be coming from the front windows and the curved side windows. It is so bad that that the water is puddling behind the galley wall and has completely rotted the bottom of the cabinet between the galley and the head. My plan is to remove all the windows in the spring and re-caulk and re-install.

Has anyone ever removed these windows? Is there anything I should know before I start tearing them out?

Thanks in advance

Tom
tgcasey

Post by tgcasey »

Has anyone ever removed the front windows in an International?
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

You might try a call to Beacon Marine, the host of this website or to John Leed at MArineTech.
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

We have a 10M and the biggest water leak I found was the louvered vent on the starboard side which is suposed to be 1 of the air intakes for the engines. I found that there was no connecting hose to the vent and it just leaked water into the main salon.

Wes
tgcasey

Post by tgcasey »

Thanks.

Are these the small round vents forward of the windshield? When I saw these on my boat i thought they were an after market item

Tom
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

The vents on our boat are the louvered silver plastic vents that are about 4 inches by 18 inches. I'm going to seal them completely this year if I can't find a way to vent them to the engine hold.

Wes
Apple

Post by Apple »

Believe it or not, there is a crude design of a duct for the vents. The vents have collectors that open into a boxed-in area under the window. The starboard box turns down in the form of a plumbing/wire chase that puts the wiring, the a/c condensor lines and condensate drain for the salon a/c down in the engine room just forward of the rear bulkhead. If nothing else, it is useful as a fresh air vent for the salon more so than a vent for the engine room. If it's not broke or leaking, I would let it be. When I repowered to diesel, I added a Jabsco flange mount blower on the starboard side to match the one on the port side. The port exhausts hot engine room air, the starboard forces fresh air into the engine room. I also have a vent cut out in the center of the engine room rear bulkhead. I think it is 23" X 17". The cut-out door is hinged so that I can close it when we put her away. Hope this helps...

Apple....
"Pauper's Paradise"
86 10Mtr Sedan 341
tgcasey

Post by tgcasey »

I found one source of the water leak, the vents on the port side for the galley and head vent leaked to the point that the blower motors were completely rusted and gone.

Still trying to find the leak on the starboard side, I still think it is the windshield but I get a lot of water for just a windshield leak. In the spring I plan on removing the windows. Not sure what I am in for but I am going to give it a try...

Tom
tgcasey

Post by tgcasey »

I was up at the boat yesterday and it appears that it is not the front windows that are leaking but rather the side sliding windows. It looks like there are a series of mounting bolts that come down through the bottom of the track and that is where they are leaking

Anybody ever remove these side windows? Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tom