a long shot

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oldboat1
Sporadic User

a long shot

Post by oldboat1 »

When we moved down to Maryland in the '90s, I pulled a 21 foot Trojan outboard cruiser down there from Michigan, for use on the Magothy River and the Bay (Sea Breeze model, plywood over oak, titled as a '54 model but may have been a '55 or '56.) I sold the boat after a few years to a woman in northern Virginia, and she ran it on the Potomac, slipping it somewhere on the Virginia side, fairly close in. I tried unsuccessfully a couple of times to follow up, but got no response -- which could indicate a sorry end to the boat, though I hope not. I talked to her just after she got it to Virginia, and she said it was floating and running fine. I had just gotten into restoring '50s outboards, and had put a '58 Sea King on the boat -- always sorry, though, that I hadn't hung on to the boat and refitted it with twin '57 Evinrudes or Johnsons (favorite models, fairly close to the mfg date of the boat). I even have two '57 Johnsons that would serve the purpose.

I would like to try to bring her back if she can be located and hasn't been sunk or burned. I notice there are a number of Maryland and Virgina posters out there, and I'm thinking maybe some of this might ring a bell. She had a white hull, with bright combing and trim (framed windshield on cabin top -- express-type cruiser). Motor was a grey '58 Sea King 35, electric start.

I would appreciate any leads or info on this boat. She was on a dual axle Dilly trailer which has probably survived if the boat has managed to do so.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Try puting the same post in the Runabout section also can't hurt
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

done. good point -- Thanks.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Welcome to the forum.
Good Luck on your hunt.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Welcome aboard. Hope you find her. Keep us posted.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

all the greetings appreciated -- Thanks.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I use to have an old boat I kept on the Magothy about 25 years ago. Another long shot would be to contact Capt. Clyde at Deep Creek marina, if he's still around...he owned the small marina with his wife. If anyone knows the area and the boats, he would. Also check Fairwinds Marina on St. Clair Rd. Near Annapolis. They specialize in very old outboards and small boats. Some long time employees may be able to help with your search. Keep an eye on CL tluck. Good luck.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

Ah, yes. The Pumphrey brothers at Fairwinds. I'm sure they are still there in all their glory -- a good source for antique parts, though, if you can stand dealing with them. If you get over to the shore, and like antique outboards, stop by American Outboards in Cordoba (on 50, on the way to Easton). They have warehouses full of stuff, along with all of the stuff outside. I don't know about capt. Clyde at Deep Creek Marina -- assume that might be the small operation next to Deep Creek Restaurant (a good place to eat if you get back over there) -- owner/operator was a neighbor, although the place may have changed hands since we lived in the area.

don't miss the D.C. area traffic congestion, but some interesting boating resources -- regardless of your politics (see from your tag we would disagree on the latter, but guessing we would probably agree on the former). Your F32 sounds like a good choice for boating on the rivers and the Bay, and beyond. I can't say the old '54 Trojan I had was great for the area, but I think it would be a nice oldie to have here in the finger lakes -- should have just found an old barn owner to store it for me until I was ready to play with it again.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Yes, the small marina next to Deep Creek restaurant.
You get use to the traffic... :)

I don't miss my old '31 Broad Water which I kept on the Magothy though... :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!