question to oweners of woodies

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mr elevman
Moderate User

question to oweners of woodies

Post by mr elevman »

has anyont striped the hulls and replywooded and planked
bakerplumbing6

Paint removal

Post by bakerplumbing6 »

I work on wood boats everyday, in fact at the moment I just bought a 1966 36' trojan flybridge for restoration, hence the reason for joining this forum.

As for stripping paint, we just started using a soy based stripper we found in "rudder" magazine. ( the publication issued by the ACBS ). The product works well on most paints above the water line. Its a lot easier to work with than the aircraft stripper we have used in the past, and a whole lot more enviromentally friendly!

We are currently in a year long restoration af a 1929 42' Elco flattop crusier. Its done a good job on single part urethane paints and varnishes, but is not very effective on anti-fouling copper based bottom paints.

If I can be of more assistance please let me know.

The Company we get it from is:

Brite Group
14 West Blvd
Rochester, NY 14612
585-943-6111

Matt
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

let me rephrase the queation. has any one removed the outer planking and plywood then installed new plywood and if so what am i in for. any advice would be greatly welcome
bakerplumbing6

Planking Removal

Post by bakerplumbing6 »

Sorry I missunderstood!!

First why and what area of the planking are you wanting to remove?

The process is not difficult .... but am more curious why and where?
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

why , i gutted the cabins due to water damage (windows and deaks leak) and i found rotted plywood in the head ,lockers and galley the plywood is the inner hull and the front bow bildge holds water and has for a long time so i want to take the 7/8" mahogany planking off and replace the inner hull plywood and repair or replace stringers as needed then reinstall outter planking i just got this boat a few months ago and i havent seen the bottom yet shes comming out of the water next month being she leaks soo mutch from the topside. from the engin bulkhead to the back of the berth gets wet every time it rains i cant tell if she takes on water from below the water line i dont beleve so other then seapage example when it hasent rained for a week the front bildge comes on about every 3hrs and that is just a 3-5 sce run when it rains for a day its about every 20-30 minn for 5-8 sec when i drove the boat from her old slip to her new one about 15 miles 1/2 to 1/4 thotel i for got to turn on the 12 volt pumps opps !!!(i allready added a circut so when the shore power is disconected the dc pumps automaticly is energized)the bildge water leval was only one inch higher then what is maintained now ok now im rambeling on
bakerplumbing6

De planking/replanking

Post by bakerplumbing6 »

No you were not rambling!! You just love your wood boat!!!

I believe you said she was a 1966. I like bilge cycle times to get down to once a week or less, and I have seen a dry bilge in a wood boat. The process of removing the planking is time consuming process. Assuming all the planking is in excellent condition, which I doubt, each plank need to be labeled as to position on the hull. A good digital camera is a great tool to use during this process. Depending on whether or not any significant work has ever taken place on the hull over the years will determine the difficulty of the project.

Often 3m 5200 is used in the seams if it has had work done at some point in her past. This can be some tuff stuff, and can even break planking while trying to remove it.

I don't know your level of knowledge in terms of wood boat construction, but I would advise you to obtain some books on the subject. A good one is by Don Dannenberg, and he also has a website with a forum strictly on wood boat restoration and repair.

The scope of this project is probably beyond what you think it is going to be. Once you tear into the hull of a wood boat there are always other things that are going to come up.

For example your boat utilized an oak framework. Fortunately all your frames are cut and not steam bent, which makes the reconstruct easier for someone with basic woodworking skills. Also some rot in areas where appearance is not a factor can be stabilized with CEPS. This may be an option for you to consider.

Regardless how you approach the issues on the boat, you have to find and eliminate the water that is entering from the decks. Are your deck scuppers clear to allow rainwater to get off the boat?

I am going to look at your pics again, but if you choose to dive into the hull be prepared for a rather long road ahead, and some exspenses.

get back to me on the above, and good luck.

Matt