multifunction gauge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JuiceClark
Moderate User

I have one

Post by JuiceClark »

I just put Faria 4-in-1 gauges on that I bought on Ebay. They were easy to install and I like 'em. Couldn't open your link.

Tony in Sw FL
1982 F-36
wowzer52
Active User

link

Post by wowzer52 »

left click and drag from right to left on the entire link, right click the link, left click "copy", right click the browser, left click "paste" , left click "go".
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Started looking a these last fall. It seems that you can add fuel flow monitoring fairly inexpensiviely. Then I got interested in all of the other signal these units can monitor like volts, amp, temp, tach, etc. The problem is that you need an engine interface that supports NMEA 2000 signaling if you want to use the guages for more than just fuel flow.

Then I opened up the wiring column on our F36 that passes up the starboard side of the salon. I was supprised to see that the 3 x 3 column was packed with wires, and no room to spare!

Since then, I've been looking at number of CAN / J1939 devices and J1939 to NMEA 2000 converters. If I can figure it out, I could replace the old gauges on the fly bridge with a "glass dash" and have a single cable (plus power) going from the engine room to up above.

I'd be interested to know what others have done with the new NMEA 2000 technology or what anyone is looking at doing...

Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Started looking a these last fall. It seems that you can add fuel flow monitoring fairly inexpensiviely. Then I got interested in all of the other signal these units can monitor like volts, amp, temp, tach, etc. The problem is that you need an engine interface that supports NMEA 2000 signaling if you want to use the guages for more than just fuel flow.

Then I opened up the wiring column on our F36 that passes up the starboard side of the salon. I was supprised to see that the 3 x 3 column was packed with wires, and no room to spare!

Since then, I've been looking at number of CAN / J1939 devices and J1939 to NMEA 2000 converters. If I can figure it out, I could replace the old gauges on the fly bridge with a "glass dash" and have a single cable (plus power) going from the engine room to up above.

I'd be interested to know what others have done with the new NMEA 2000 technology or what anyone is looking at doing...

Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"