Not a good day..a total downer day

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

'at a boy Rooferdave.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I agree !!!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

thanks guys, James treated me and my wife to dinner at the club tonight (thanx bud awesome meal!) and tomorrow is launch and test day, and we have the trailer so I'm sure the outcome will be good for James anyway it goes. Even if it is worst case, its only an engine, its not that big a deal.
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Hopes James is feeling much better about the whole thing. And ya, when you have good help, it's just an engine and a few dinners!!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Roofer u be the man ! :D
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

Way to go Rooferdave, if you make that trip to Georgian Bay this year, stop in at Lauderdale Point Marina on Sparrow Lake, I'd like to buy you a drink!
1986 F26
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Maybe Rooferdave can take the trip over here to help me as well.......huh? :roll:
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Update:
Well got to the boat, the previous owner had repaired the hole in the manifold, and did a pretty good job of it. He said that he had started it up and it ran well, He replaced, re-did the carb to accept ethanol laced gas, had the gas tank swished, cleaned inside.
Everything looked pretty good.

Rooferdave (Dave) and I went and picked up the boat, the previous owner has lent the trailer for the time it takes to launch. Arrived at the club, tried to launch but motor won't turn over for some reason. Will take the time to investigate, could be a simple reason, no idea at this time. Everything looks good, just won't start.

May have to change spark plugs wires and rotor. Going to rely on Daves expertise for next steps.

In the mean time, I will take the time to clean her up, name her and get things looking good.

Wish me luck, 1st step is done now was getting her home.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

actually engine DOES turnover just won't fire, previous owner said it was almost out of fuel, but when James put gas in at the station it spilled out the overflow after 26 bucks. When we tried to start it (after hatches off and blowers for 10-15 mins) had spark but if we flooded it could not tell due to odour of spilled gas. Need to go back with tools now to play some more. Battery was also a bit low so it has been on trickle charge for the night, could have been that too. "sigh" back to the bar,,no no I mean boat really his boat now lol.

As a postscript James bought me dinner and a few beers and left about 7 pm, leaving me unsupervised with a bunch of boaters...in a bar!!!! Unhuh I was poured in my front door sometime after midnight....
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

2nd day at it:
Left Dave last night to his Darts and beer, guess he got home late :)

Today was a good day, decided to try quick start, she fired but sputtered out
next try in the progression of things we decided to pour straight gasoline down the carburator, well, it cleanned her out good, after a few tries she started up and purrs like a lion:)

me is a Happy Camper..Uh..Boater now
probably going to check filters and change them. Might have been something got lodged in them during the ride down on the trailer.
Anything is possible, it's a boat!!

Going to spend a few more days cleanning up the hull, then might launch her next saturday if all goes well.
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Great news. On a boat that may not have had all the care it needs, I would change the oil and filters, change the spark plugs, and definitley change the fuel filters. Make sure you keep a spare set of fuel filters on board in case ethanol cleans out your gas tank and deposits the sludge in your filters.

It looks like the boat is raw water cooled, so I would plan in replacing the risers and manifolds at your earliest ability to do so. Especially with a repaired manifold. Should be a pretty easy job with the access you have but parts are the Expense. Keep us posted
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

gardnersf wrote: Make sure you keep a spare set of fuel filters on board in case ethanol cleans out your gas tank and deposits the sludge in your filters.
thanks for the tips, the gas tank has been totally cleanned and all varnish removed, it is like a new tank. I will definitely change oil, filters, and plugs this weekend.
Save my pennies and change the manifolds and risers later, probably after this season on winter lay-up. (ouch..did I say winter?)

On my way now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel:)
chauzer
Moderate User

Post by chauzer »

want to hear a bad day? i went to show my boat last weekend to a potential buyer and discovered some low life a**hole had broke in and totally trashed the inside! not to mention the foot of snow thats now in the boat! very, very, very pissed off to say the least. almost to the point of giving up...
life is tough! it's even tougher if your stupid.
~john wayne~
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

chauzer wrote:point of giving up...
hang n there - have a couple of cold ones and imagine your best day on the water.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

chauzer wrote:want to hear a bad day? i went to show my boat last weekend to a potential buyer and discovered some low life a**hole had broke in and totally trashed the inside! not to mention the foot of snow thats now in the boat! very, very, very pissed off to say the least. almost to the point of giving up...
What a Jerk
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D