Sqealing sound

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JonChristman

Sqealing sound

Post by JonChristman »

My engine is making a horrible squealing sound when I rev the engine beyond an idle. It sounds like it is mostly coming from the front of the engine. I can feel water rushing into the thermostat housing and out to the exhause manifolds. I did replace the thermostat with one I purchased at West Marine. The flange was slightly smaller than the original one that was in there but it seemed to cover the hole and the gasket sealed. Any ideas. I have some suspicions but I want to her what you guys think my problem is.
Jon
Former Owner of F-26 "Tir Nan Og"
and looking for another Trojan
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Belts, raw water pump, circ pump, alternator.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
boatmechanic

Post by boatmechanic »

Check your belts, they should be riding just above the top of the pullys and have about an inch of slack when pushing and pulling on them between the pullys
1971 F31 restoration in progress
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

yep, check belts. i just replaced the port raw water pump and had same issue....good at idle but when revved squealed, tightened belts and all is good.............John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

When my raw water pump impeller failed on the port engine the water pump locked up and the belt started squeeling, there was no water flow out the exhaust, so a week later when I heard the stbd belt start squeeling, sure enough the pump was locked up and no water flow coming out the exhaust. When the port pump failed, I bought 2 rebuild kits and I'm glad I had the other one on board when the stbd side failed, on the water, 50 miles from home.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
JonChristman

Post by JonChristman »

The belts seem to be right tension and riding properly. I have seen lots of squeaky belt on old cars, but this sqeal sounds, well, I guess the best way to describe would be more gutteral...if that makes sense.

If the pump is failed would I feel water flowing into the Thermostat housing? I do now recall when I had it on the hard I would start it and it would get that sound, but once I turned on the water hose and fed in some water it went away. Could the water pressure from the house hose have been feeding it enough water, but not the pump by itself?
Jon
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

This is what a water pump impeller looks like after it fails. You can see that the broken impeller pieces can get jammed and brake the water jackets of the pump and stop the pulley from turning. The impeller needs replaced before running the engine.
and this is what the impeller should look like. This particular Mercruiser repair kit replaces the impeller housing, plate and end cap with a one piece housing.
You can do a search on here for "impeller" and find more info.
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

This is the raw water pump that cools the exhaust and trans oil. This is the water that comes out the exhaust pipe while the engine is running.
JonChristman

Post by JonChristman »

Well I guess I will be spending some time pulling off the water pump. Anmy tips for removing it? The engine is pretty close to that bulkhead there so do I need to hire a contortionist to reach down into there. :D
Jon
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

What motor do you have?
JonChristman

Post by JonChristman »

Chrysler 318
Jon
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Wowser's are down low, yours are close to the top at the front on the port side of engine (balancer facing bow). It may not be that bad. These can be tricky; mark everything so you put it back together properly. They can be reversed if not carefull and will pump the wrong way. FWC or RWC? Do you have a circ pump? Asking because some applications used dual pocket pumps (two impellers). Single pocket will have two hoses, dual pocket will have four.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
JonChristman

Post by JonChristman »

Last night as I was trying to locate the sqealing I was running the engine about 2000 rpm checking belt movement and feeling the water pressure in the hoses and the sqealing slowly dissappeared.

I was thinking maybe I just had not run it long enough at higher RPM since I had only idled it will on the hard with the garden hose attached.
Jon
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Did you check the ater flow out the exhaust?