F36 440's running weird

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

coil issue

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

did you try swapping the coils between engines? the coil can break down as the engine gets hot and stop working or work intermiittantly
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
stevocom

Post by stevocom »

OK, here's the newest. Ran a remote 3 gal tank on the port bone dry with No issues. Hooked the main tank fuel line back up just to get home (again only at 2200 rpm) and guess what? No issues. Both engines run fine at wot. So is this a good thing or bad thing? I mean its running fine, that's great, but will this issue be back another day? I have found another issue this Eve though. Who ever mentioned tac sinc? My starboard tac is now doin laps, very erratic. Can all of this
really be related?
stevocom

Post by stevocom »

OK, here's the newest. Ran a remote 3 gal tank on the port bone dry with No issues. Hooked the main tank fuel line back up just to get home (again only at 2200 rpm) and guess what? No issues. Both engines run fine at wot. So is this a good thing or bad thing? I mean its running fine, that's great, but will this issue be back another day? I have found another issue this Eve though. Who ever mentioned tac sinc? My starboard tac is now doin laps, very erratic. Can all of this
really be related?
stevocom

Post by stevocom »

really be related?
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Paul mentioned the sinc. It and the tachs can cause ignition problems when they short out. To be sure, you can disconnect the tachs at the coils and go for a few runs. Personally, I don't like not having a definitive answer to what corrected a problem. Those types of resolutions always seem to come back and haunt you when you least expect.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

agreed
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D