Boats for sale search engine

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Boats for sale search engine

Post by P-Dogg »

Does anyone know of a search engine searcher that collects information from multiple internet sites and lists them in one place? If I want a tricabin, do I have to search boatsville, AND boatrader, AND yachtworld, AND -- you get the picture.

The type of website that I seek exists for planes. http://Www.globalplanesearch.com. It compiles listings from about 19 sites and does a decent job of deleting multiple entries when planes are listed in more than one place. If anyone could steer me to the equivalent place for boats, if it exists, it would be much appreciated. For grins I tried globalboatsearch.com and someone has claimed the name but the site is just parked. Thanks, Perry
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Perry, not that I am aware of. But, how about you give us a description of what you want in the boat...Tricabin, year and amout your looking to spend.
Members on this board are from everywhere and you never know when someone's dock mate is selling the boat you want! :D

Not a sermon....just a thought! :)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

here is one that gives all areas, USA and Canada, or just by region
check it out
http://www.boatdealers.ca/boats/usedboats.aspx
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Okey-dokey, here goes. I'm looking for a tricab with the mid-mounted engines. That's about as specific as I can get right now. I haven't stepped foot on one yet, so I don't have my heart set on a particular year. Feel free to PM me with your experience about tricabs to help steer me toward a particular model.

I've communicated at length with Sir Aaron of Baltimore about the tricab and his experiences with them, and I believe a tricab will suit me fine. I also talked to Don when I first joined the forum. He said asking prices are far different from taking prices (one of the reasons I posted about whether to use a broker or not when buying), and that if I found a boat I liked in this market, start at half the asking price, or a third if I didn't mind risking being hit. I sold my airplane in a down market, so I know what it is like -- $48K less than I paid for it (used) 46 months earlier.

Since I am not rushing to buy, I will probably start on the low side and see how badly folks want to sell. Of course I know I risk a boat is being sold at a low price because people have been unable to pay to keep things fixed-up, but you have start start taking your chances somewhere. I am a general aviation pilot, so I can reasonably travel to look at boats within a few hundred miles of Maryland in one day. Speaking of which, I am looking at boats basically in the Great Lakes or the Mid-Atlantic states.

Asking prices for tricabs range from $12K for something I probably don't want, to $60K with diesels. Under $30K for a decent-looking model seems to be attainable. I am budgeting $20K for purchase, and allowing $5K more right-off the bat for fit-out and fix-up. After I buy the boat, I'm budgeting an allowance of $800 per month for carrying costs, and am paying cash for the boat. FYI Boat US wants $660/yr for insurance for $25K hull value.

Is such an approach reasonable? Is your neighbor ready to sell me his Tricab? (Actually, Sir Aaron turned me on to a Tricab for sale a couple of slips down from him already, but I have not yet started bothering people in person). I went to a financial advisor last week, and results are expected next week (no I didn't list a boat as a future investment, but I did list it as a future expense....) After an independent assessor tells me I can send my kids to college AND buy a boat, I'll be ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks for any input you can offer. I also express my gratitude to all who have taken the time to reply to ANY post where folks have sought answers to questions. In the last month I have read all of the interesting (to me) posts in the 90+ pages of this forum. It is a great resource.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Perry, here's a candidate boat for you. In your price range, probably less, if you work the deal right. Maybe just a little TLC will get her going. You'll actually need to scroll a couple pages to the 36 Trojan. No direct link to the page.

http://mearspointyachtsales.com/boats-for-sale/
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!