Battery Charger Recommendations

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

randyp
Active User

Battery Charger Recommendations

Post by randyp »

Found out my Charles 5000 3-bank battery charger got fried sometime during the past week or two. I was away so not sure what happened. It was new when I installed it in 2004 and worked fine. It's a 110V 20amp charger and I only used 2 of the 3 outputs. Apparently it was a surge or a short because I noticed some of the board is burnt down to the fiberglass and some of the circuit components are charred. Neither the AC or DC internal fuses blew, but whatever happened killed the 12V output side, and most likely a whole lot in between the 110v input and 12V output.

Sooooooo. What's the "best charger in the world" in your opinion? I want to replace this one the same way - direct wired, not plug-in, and I'm looking for 110V with 20 - 40 amp DC output. 2 bank is fine.

Answers please.....ready......GO!!

Thanks
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

ProMariner's ProTech or ProNautic series.

http://www.pmariner.com/category.php?CategoryNum=1

Or Xantrex Statpower Truecharge2 series chargers.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/b ... e-2-2.aspx
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I have a Charles 5000 20A charger in my F-26. I installed it about 4yrs ago and so far has been trouble free. I have it hardwired, but installed a waterproof on/off switch in my closet just inside the companionway. I'll only use it while I'm down hanging out on the boat, otherwise I keep it off. If I ever have to do it over, I probably would choose a "battery tender" I use one for my car, and it's excellent you can leave it on all the time without any worries. Best part is that the marine model is modular so you can add as many banks as you want. http://batterytender.com/marine/pro-mod ... arger.html
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Looks like we have the same charger, Matt. Mine lasted 7 years trouble free until something cooked it. I checked the circuit board and it's burned down to the fiberglass on the upper and lower left side corners (the DC side I think), as well as some blackened areas and a cooked component on the AC side. Methinks a power surge or lightning??? Interesting that you installed an on-off switch. I just left mine running on trickle charge since I assumed it was automatic. Maybe this caused the problem, or maybe 7 years is par for lifetime of this unit.....like my former desktop computer.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Hi Randy,
It does seem like you took some sort of power surge, especially since the board is burned. Strange that none of your fuses blew, it could have been a lightning strike. Just to be on the safe side, I'd check all of your wires running to and from the unit to make sure that none of your wires are damaged resulting in a short. I did replace all of my AC wiring several years ago, as most of the covering on the original wiring was dried out and would crack if you moved it. It's not that complicated an AC system to work on and only took me a day to replace everything. If you do replace the wiring, remember not to use solid wire on a boat, it should be stranded

The charger is meant to be fully automatic, though I've never been a fan of leaving things plugged in and on while I'm not around. I use the charger once every few weeks to keep things topped off and it's worked pretty well for me. Let us know which unit you decide to use. Out of curiosity how many batteries do you have? I have two group 24's under the steps and a group 27 mounted in a battery box just aft the fresh water tank on the port side.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I use the Xantrex TruCharge 20+ three bank charger. This "smart charger" takes care of my cranking battery, house bank and generator battery. I leave it turned on all of the time and have it set on float which keeps all of the batteries at a voltage of 13.5 DC.

When I'm on the hook for a weekend, I run the gen for a couple hours every morning and the charger tops the batteries up.

hope this helps
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Paul wrote:I use the Xantrex TruCharge 20+ three bank charger. This "smart charger" takes care of my cranking battery, house bank and generator battery. I leave it turned on all of the time and have it set on float which keeps all of the batteries at a voltage of 13.5 DC.

When I'm on the hook for a weekend, I run the gen for a couple hours every morning and the charger tops the batteries up.

hope this helps

+1

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Thanks for the info so far. I'm checking out the Xantrex and Pro nautic units, as well as another Charles. I have a group 29 under the steps for the engine battery and two group 29s in parallel in an area under the port settee near the bulkhead. I've found the 20 amp output on the Charles charger to be quite adequate for my needs. I think I'm leaning towards either the Xantrex or the ProNautic units since they are "smart" chargers. I do run a Blue Seas ACR (auto charging relay) that sense power loss off the engine battery and will automatically isolate that battery so it does not get drained. This ACR lets me sleep at night while on the hook. I have it switched at the control panel to leave it running automatically, turn if off or, if necessary, combine the batteries. I have been charging just the two group 29 house battery bank off the charger since the ACR will adjust the charge between the house and engine banks (there is a sensing unit between the engine and house banks that measures the charge at both banks and lets the ACR do the rest). Underway the alternator takes care of the charging, and since the engine battery is isolated it's always charged up to start the engine. So, my choice for a battery charger will most likely be 20 amp, double bank although I really only need a single bank capability with my current set up.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Paul wrote:I use the Xantrex TruCharge 20+ three bank charger. This "smart charger" takes care of my cranking battery, house bank and generator battery. I leave it turned on all of the time and have it set on float which keeps all of the batteries at a voltage of 13.5 DC.

hope this helps
+1
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

If you installed a battery charger with a prewired a/c cord on an inboard boat, I'd like to know how this was done in accordance with ABYC and CG specs. I would have thought a ProTech or ProNautic would have been a better choice.
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Mine wasn't prewired. It was hardwired after installation to a dedicated circuit and breaker on the AC side and the DC outputs were also fused in line. The Charles has AC and DC internal fuses. Neither of these blew nor did the breaker trip. Leads to believe it was lightning. The AC wire and circuit is now off the boat along with the charger. And the DC side is unhooked from the batteries. Any charging done now will be off the alternator via battery switch and ACR. Those work fine. The season's getting "old" and we're travelling the next few weeks so I may just postpone the new battery charger until next spring (or maybe Santa will shoot me one down the chimbly!!) Leaning towards the new ProNautic 30 model with temp sensor. Verrrrrry nice!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Randy, good choice. Any unit with a temp sensor is best IMO since the battery's ability to accept a charge and the rate of charge safely is temp dependent. You may want to look into the cost for a remote display/control. They're great to have at the helm so charging status/control is always front and center.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i have my original 'raritan converter' (the blue box with pilot light) and it works like a charm.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com