Window caulking

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Window caulking

Post by larglo »

I have an older f25 and I need to seal my 2 side windows. Can I just use regular caulking that is sold at Home Depot or Lowes?
West Marine brand caulking is about 14.00 a tube. Home Depot is about 5.00.
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

As to prevent cracking and yellowing, the best caulking will be some type of polysufide that has UV protection. You could use a 3m silicone, but it doesn't have any adhesive quality. I think the only polysulfide caulking available now is Life Caulk. 3M use to have the 101, but I don't think it is produced any longer. 3M now produces a 4000UV caulk that I believe was a replacement, but it is a polyurethane with a higher adhesive quality. It may be fine, but usually the more adhesive the caulk, the less flex it has.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Welcome back Larry
haven't seen you on here in a while, hope everything is ok and that your health is better.
Hope your enjoying the summer and your boat is getting a lot of use.
Glad to see you again :)
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Yeah, Larry, we miss your posts.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome back , You could use the home store stuff ,I assume your talking about silicone ? I don't think it would do as well long term , would I use it myself ? No , but it may work for you .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

I would use 3M 4000uv. Perfect for areas that require caulk where sunlight is envolved.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 8HT14PGTgl
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I do use the 4000 my self good stuff
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larglo
Moderate User

Caulking

Post by larglo »

Thanks for all the replys. It does appear there is a difference so I'm going with the 3M 4000UV.

My dad has sold the boat to me and I'm just using his ID on here.
He told me that you guys are one of the best sources of knowldege on Trojans and your a great group of guys to boot.

I hope to be on here quite a bit given all the things I want to do get old girl into the best shape I can.

Thanks again
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Welcome Larry. Nice to see you guys kept the boat in the family. You may want to take a look at some previous posts about removing and resealing the side windows if your caulking doesn't work. Over time the seals between the frames and the boat start to fail and that may be where your water is coming from. Another area to take a look at is above the cabin. The handrails that run along the top and sides of the cabin and hardtop are usually NOT sealed, at least that was the case with my F26. I was getting water in from where I thought was the side windows only to find that it was leaking down into the cabin via the handrail mounts. This being the case you can back off the screws in each mount JUST ENOUGH to get some caulk under them, and around the screw hole. Back off too far and you lose the nut holding the screw in place. Once you back them off use a 3 oz tube of silicone (because it really does work best for this). Buy it at Lowes - all silicone is the same, trust me, I used to make and market the stuff - and save some $$. After that let it set uo for about 30-60 minutes and then tighten just enought to squeeze down on the silicone. After 24 hours tighten down the screws. You could do this even if you caulk around the side windows. I did the above 10 years ago and have had no problems with water getting in the side of the cabin.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Torcan
Moderate User

Re: Caulking

Post by Torcan »

larglo wrote:Thanks for all the replys. It does appear there is a difference so I'm going with the 3M 4000UV.

My dad has sold the boat to me and I'm just using his ID on here.
He told me that you guys are one of the best sources of knowldege on Trojans and your a great group of guys to boot.

I hope to be on here quite a bit given all the things I want to do get old girl into the best shape I can.

Thanks again
So, is your name also Larry?
Please enlighten us with a little info on yourself if you don't mind.
Also, How is your Dad? We are all concerned, especially after he mentioned in past posts that his health was not so great.
You really should open up your own account. Confusion will set in for others that may not see this thread and not know it is not Larry they are chatting with.
Last edited by Torcan on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

How's your dad doing ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larglo
Moderate User

Dad

Post by larglo »

Dads doing pretty good. He put a lot of work in the boat but it need much more and he sold it to me. He's been my dad for 48 years and I rented a pontoon for a day about 5 years ago and fell in love with boats. We went together and bought a 24 ft pontoon and that started the ball rolling. The Trojan is a whole different class of boat though and I'm just now getting the hang of getting her docked.
I sign up for my own account here on the forum this weekend but I wanted to establish the relationship and the caulking was kind of an immediate cause for concern.
Thanks for all the responses and dad says hi and he doing real good. I have taken him and my mom out on it a couple of times this summer.
He still stays involved with her and I'm the new labor force.
Thanks again guys and dad sends his best.
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN