Teak Decks???

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jblack1036

Teak Decks???

Post by jblack1036 »

All, I'm looking for some guidance on getting ready to refinish my teak deck on my 65 Trojan. I've noticed that the black lines in between the teak slats are raised up considerably. Should I scrape them down to the level of the teak and sand or rejuvinate the teak to see if it will expand upward. The boat has been out of the water for the last seven years so I know everything is pretty dry. Just asking before I do something crazy and ruin what looks like will be a beautiful top deck...

Thanks
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

jblack, What sometimes looks simple can turn more difficult. The black between the teak is raised to provide a non-skid serface. This stems from the old teak & holly soles where the holly was slightly "proud" so as to create a non-skid surface. You will need to router out the black inlays prior to refinishing the teak and than replace it (ie; black epoxy) or carefully sand out the teak between it. Big job either way. :cry: jimbo36
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

jblack, I have the original teak deck in the cockpit of my 1972 Sea Raider. The bow deck was replaced with mahogany plywood and glassed and painted. The black stripes between the teak on my deck are caulking, black teak caulk, available at defender or west marine. They are the same level as the deck. I don't know if this is original or something done by the PO. I clean my teak with a thin paste made from tide laundry powdered detergent with bleach. Let it sit about 5 min then rinse, let dry, and oil with teak oil. I do this one time a year, it helps that I have full canvas and a 40' covered berth. I know some have removed the teak but I like the classic look and get many comments.........John

1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
jblack1036

Post by jblack1036 »

@ Jimbo36, thanks for the response. I don't mind the raised lines on the teak. However, I feel they are a little too raised for my liking and would like to bring them down a little closer to the deck. Looks like I'm gonna have some work ahead of me then.

@jddens, I love the picture you posted. looking good. I just hope I can get mine to look as good.

Also, I was looking through some of the picture threads on the forum and ran across a 63 Sea Breeze (Captain blast Off) that had a beautiful looking deck. (I don't mean to take away from anyone elses floating beauty) but that one had a gorgeuos looking cockpit and back desk. I can only hope I can bring mine up to that level of beauty.

I'll have some pics to post come Saturday to show the move from Northern KY to it's new home and to show what I'll have to work with. I'm chomping at the bit to get her here and getting work on her. I would really love to float her this coming year. I'll also be working on building her overhead cover to protect her from the elements.

Thanks for the input. Any and all advice is welcome. What I can't find on the forums, I'll surely be asking later.
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

I personally didnt like the lines myself and since the teak was a little worn decided to remove them by using a curved exacto knife and carefully just cutting them down to the size i liked, it was a fairly big area and took several hours however it was well spent listening to music and drinking beers so i didnt mind, anywho i also didnt like how awefull the wood has looked even after trying to clean and oil it so i decided to give it a gentle sanding and coat it in a different collor varnish and then put several coats of marine spar varnish on top of it to give it the flossy look, im fairly happy with the outcome and even without those ugly looking black ridges its fairly good to stand on and not slip and slide all the way around, i would post picktures but unfortunately i dont have any currently. Hope this helped