Rot detector

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bob wilkins

Rot detector

Post by bob wilkins »

Where can I buy a devise to detect rot in stringers.
Bob W
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Not to sound too simple but a screw driver works the best. Remove the floor boards and poke around the areas that did not get fully covered with fiberglass, Limber holes are the first, if you can poke in then its rotted. The other thing I did is drill a small hole just past the fiberglass in suspect areas and poke with screw driver into the wood.

The one thing that surprised me is where I found a little, there actually was alot further spread down the stringer.

Good luck, and dont be afraid to take stuff apart to investigate, I actually learned allot and found that the boat is really simple once I peeled back the layers. :wink:
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
Lookout

Post by Lookout »

mac32 is right. A moisture detector does not detect actual rot. just moisture. the tool of choice (even by the pros) is indeed a screwdriver. As far as an instrument that actually detects rot, I dont think there is one.
  • LOOKOUT AGAIN
  • 1986 F-36
  • Lake Michigan Fish Slayer.
http://www.lookoutcharterservice.com