Side slider windows

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Side slider windows

Post by larryeddington »

On my F28 the windows are installed sing double channel sliding plastic mold "E" channel. I have new channel and want to replace. The front right and left cabing windows were screwed in place but seems they should slide back and open.

1. Are the side windows designed so that rear half can be slid forward and the front half slid backward or be adjusted to suit each way?

2. The "E" channel is secured by screws; how do you get the windows and channel out as some of the screws will be under the sliding window. There must be a magic way to remove the windows. They willl not lift up to free to bottom edge for extraction.

3. Ideas or help.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Hey Larry, on the F32 & F36 models on the outside of the lower tracks there is a screw that gets removed to slide the windows back for removal but prior to lifting them up and out you have to remove the H tracks from top and bottom. This is done by sliding the windows forward and rear ward to get the track out. Once these are removed the glass will lift out easily. I think the F28's are pretty close to the same. To be sure call John Leeds at Marine Tech, he used to work at the trojan factory and told me how to do mine, showed me also at the rendevous in July. Hope this helps somewhat. I realize I am as clear as mud on the directions,huh? :roll:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Hi Allen,

John told me how to do H tracks too but these are not H tracks but E tracks with the E laying on its back. There are some screws in the track which I will remove and a valance on the outside (removed). I am guessing as you said push forward remove screws the push both slide windows aft and remove the rest.

Is the front side supposed to slide backward and rear side forwar at the users choice? My front ones were screwed in place, removed screws and it slid backward. Just wondering what it was intended to do originally, IMO probably both ways.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
pnmudge

Post by pnmudge »

our front windows are screwed in too... i wish they slid back and opened... but i don't think that was the intention, as they didn't install a stopper on the aft end of the window. too bad.
F-28 1976
twin 318 Chrysler
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I took the screws out and the fronts slid back. I could simply put a a screw of some sorts as a stopper to prevent sliding too far. Thoughts? It appears the front windows have the same type of "handle" as the rear half only turned around. I see no reason the "handle" cannot be unbolted and bolted on with its edge backward and accessable.
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
pnmudge

Post by pnmudge »

Cool! I'll have to check it out. Boat's up the river getting new fuel tanks :)
F-28 1976
twin 318 Chrysler
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

got 2 75gal alum tanks coming from sp tanks.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Along with the E channel in the F-28 sliding windows, what is the type of black gasket in the rounded "corners" of the windows? Home improvent stores only have very light duty open foam weatherstrips. Seems like the same as front hatch seal. 1" wide by ??? thick and self adhesive on one side, but it must have a memory and be soft enough for those rounded windows to set into to seal. Mine are all dried hard and brittle and must be replaced.
1978 F-28
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink