replacing throttle cables

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Briand

replacing throttle cables

Post by Briand »

I would appreciate any input on the degree of difficulty to replace the throttle cables on my 1978 F30. I believe that the flybridge cables are connected to the lower station also. Is this a one weekend job, several days etc. They are probably teleflex cables, just use the same as replacements? Can they be taped and pulled through old followed by new? Replace lower than bridge first or doesn't it matter. I have tried oil, WD 40 etc, anyone have a product that works to free these up?
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Try Marvel Mystery Oil... covered here and elsewhere:
http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... y+oil#8268

I used that process on my F32 and it solved the problem.... I started at the bridge then moved to the lower station cable.
Put a towel around the end at the lower helm so you don't drip MMO there.

IMO this process once or twice will solve most stiff cable problems unless they have been crimped/crushed.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

I had to replace a couple on my F32. To get the exact length, I pulled the bad cables out, with a heavy cord tied to the back end. When out, I measured them, then pulled the new ones through, using the cord, if you know what I mean. Not hard at all, couple of hours total.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
dollarbill

Well I did it.

Post by dollarbill »

And if you knew me that is quite a ringing endorsement. I have a 30 Express. FB runs to lower helm so you should be able to identify where your issue is. Takes two people - one to see if the lower helm controls are moving.

Now mine was replacing a lower teleflex to transmission - but it is probably about the same. Just measure out your cable and take notes / pictures as you take off old cable. Cables are available at pretty much any marine supply store - big and small as well as our sponsor Beacon Marine.

It took me an afternoon - but remember mine was from the lower control station. I did not have to mess with running cables through the chase or anything.

Best of luck
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I did both my throttle and shift cables this summer. Once you do it, you'll never go back. They're so smooth it almost feels like they're disconnected.

I tried the compressor/lube trick but wish I just swapped the cables from day one.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Just replaced both upper and lower cables on a f-32.Taped the new cable to the old one and fed it through with help.If you go on the teleflex web site they show how to identify the type of cable and length from the #s stamped on the cable casing.Should have done it 13 years ago.