Replacing AC/heat system

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Replacing AC/heat system

Post by Mike Kulp »

Hi everybody, I am in the process of replacing my Lunair system with a new unit. I have researched multiple models and was wondering if anybody had any expierence with these models. I have a mid cabin with the unit in the from stateroom locker. I like the Cruisair model SXUF18/410A, or Cruisair stowaway SXF16 these seem to be the most expensive units. Flagship marine model FM16R was $1599 but has some bad press on some web sites. Mermaid M16CHP-T $1537.99 but could not find anything on these units. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is going to be my Christmas present to my self. My unit now is a lunair 16,000 btu AC/ heat.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I replaced mine this past summer with a MarinAire unit. It is 16,500BTU, has remote control, and also reverse cycle heating. It was a very easy install and I did it myself. Took about two hours total to get old one out and new one in. Works great for both A/C and heat. The price was about the same as what you are looking at.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

My first choice would be Cruseair or or maybe Marineaire as it is made by the same people (Dometic ) so I would expect them to be of the same quailty
.(I use Cruse air)
Mermaid , I have heard good things .

Suport and service are very inportant . you can get Crusair service every where , Mermaid I know there is weavers near you for service if needed .http://www.weaversmarine.net/

Flagsahip ? don't know much good luck
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

My factory 1983 Cruiseair lasted until we replaced it during the refit in 2006.

It was 23 years old and having leakage issues and some solenoid issues.

We changed out the entire unit with a new one, same 16,000 btu as the factory model.

We chose to stay with Cruiseair.

This unit has a more efficient compressor and the electronic panel which will allow this unit a longer life as it can deal with voltage drop.

It is far quieter than the factory unit.

The new unit has reverse cycle heat also.

We also installed a fresh water flush on the raw water side.

This is on a 10 meter express cruiser. We modified the mounting location in the engine room to get it off the floor as the factory did and it lives on a shelf above the vacuum tank for the wastewater system.

Care should be taken when choosing equipment for the boat as quality, dependability and years of service in what can be a harsh environment are worthy considerations.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
BobCT
Active User

A/C

Post by BobCT »

Mike, I replaced my Lunaire with a 12k Mermaid. It's smaller than the 16k original unit but cools the cabin fine. I downsized because I potentially want to run it on a portable Gen.

They miake good units but it's not as quiet as I would have hoped. The mid cabin AC location is bad no matter what you do though. It's quieter when running but the "click" on when the unit cycles is annoying. I lined the inside walls with sound deadening insulation but I need to isolate the solenoid or whatever makes cycling noise.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
BlueBelle

MarineAir/Cruisair Turbo Series

Post by BlueBelle »

I installed a MarineAir Vector Turbo Series (16k) last month. The same unit is called Stowaway Turbo Series by Cruisair. The unit is remarkably small and unbelievably quiet. Installation was easy.

The sound shield option encloses the compressor for silence. After installing I couldn't hear the compressor kick on at all...the only indicator that the compressor was in fact running was the indicator light on the thermostat...and ice cold air through registers. Additionally the rubber 'feet' deaden vibration remarkably well. These units are pricey ($1900) but I'm extremely pleased with mine.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

When I was a marine mechanic, I installed several Flagship Marine systems and my experiences with them were Great!! Customer service, ease of installation, and quality was top notch. And I love the Electric heat option, no worrying about the temp of the water like in reverse-cycle
On my "Future" list, I plan to replace my forward Cruiseair unit with a
FM20R and the electric heat option. There will be a seperate 2" duct that will run through all the bilge areas to keep the temps well above freezing, allowing us to use the boat anytime we wish. No, I don't much have to worry about power outages, since my marina automatically notifies me when it happens.
My 2 cents worth!

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Who are the flag ship dealers in the C bay area ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

AC Heat unit

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Take a look at Webasto. I got a 16,000 BTU unit for my F-32 and it is quiet and has a remote as well. I mounted mine behind the aft drawers of the dinette with some modification to the drawers. I never get hot and when I need heat I have plenty. Cost was around $1,300 with the wiring and circulation pump and fittings. That was in 2006. Great service from the dealer in Florida as far as answering all my questions.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

By the way, in the 10 Meter express cruiser, all the hardware, blower motor, compressor, plumbing, condenser, evaporator and all hoses and all tubes, hoses and valves are located in the engine room and have access from same.

It's all on the back side of that bulkhead, easy access and this keeps everything very, very quiet.

The air filter is accessible from the cabin and all the ducts are actually built into both sides of the ceiling in a moulded in headliner.

Nice arrangement!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Thanks for all the response, I was hoping there would be one manufacturer that everybody would recommend but I am just as undecided as I was before. I have looked at all the units you's recommended and I gues it will come down to space and service. Thanks everybody
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mike , the most important thing is support if you new unit breaks is the someone to service it ? and do it under warranty ? the best a/c in the world is not worth 2 cents if its broke and there is no one to repair it . not to easy to send it back . Find out who is there for support and the decide . I like cruseair and there is service all over . call around and see what brads have local ( to the boat) warranty service .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Okay guys after researching every A/C system I could find it has come down to size and service. I purchased a Mermaid unit that has the exact dimensions I need for the small space in the front state room. The dealer for these units is close to my marina so this si a win win. i will post some pics when I start the install. I researched this topic until I drove my wife crazy, she mumbled something about being excessive and then said just order it summer is coming.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good info , and if service is that close a good choice
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Just saw this thread mike. please let us know how you make out with the install . i have the same boat as you and was concerned about finding one that would fit in the existing space. if you get a moment please post the model # if you don't mind me benefiting from all of your leg work! will the new remote fit in the same hole as the origional ? thanks and good luck with the install!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console