marine tv antennna

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

g36
Moderate User

marine tv antennna

Post by g36 »

not exactly a trojan question. my boating is on the tennessee river near chattanooga. i wondered if anyone has installed a tv antenna on their boat. i've tried all manners of cheap antennas on my f32 mainly inside types but all have to be monkied with when you change channels to keep a good signal. i just hate to spend alot of money on buying and installing a antenna on the outside and still not be satisified. i'm not that far from stations and if it was at the house it wouldnt be hard to get good signals but on the boat i need an omnidirectional. so what model and are you happy with it. considering the seawatch antennas from shakesphere or similiar.any thoughts?
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

yeah,

I have a Glomex omnidirectional up on my flybridge roof. With the amplifier truned up all the way, it works pretty well but that all depends on just how close you are to the signals.

Also, we only use it docked... I don't think it works all that well under way. I've tied ours both with analog and digital and works fairly well on both.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am petty happy with my UFO, I have never compaired it to Shakespeare or Glomex . I have heard good things about the other 2 but I got a deal on the UFO

http://www.dantronics.com/ufo.htm
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rolytrojan

Post by rolytrojan »

I just installed a SeaWatch (2025 Digital) this past weekend. This was the only antenna at local marine store that was digital. Most of the TV station in my area are switching to digital by next year. The picture am getting is amazing.
1985 11 Meter International Convertible
6-71TA
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Yes - transition date is 2009 for termination of analog broadcasts.

keep in mind that digital or analog has little to do with antenna choice. Digital signals are (currently) broadcast on the UHF band only- where analog is using both UHF and VHF bands.

As long as the antenna you buy supports UHF frequencies, you'll be fine for digital. In the mean time, you might want a dual band antenna to have the option of using a current analog tuner that requires VHF.
Lookout

Post by Lookout »

I have a UFO on the boat which worked ok, but now I have dish network, so I dont use it. I fish so were not watching tv when were out there anyway.
  • LOOKOUT AGAIN
  • 1986 F-36
  • Lake Michigan Fish Slayer.
http://www.lookoutcharterservice.com