1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Hello everyone. It has been a few years since I posted on the site. I am knee deep in a total restoration on my 10 meter. I found out the stringers were completly rotted out from the limber holes never being sealed at the factory. I began the project about three years ago. the stringers were cut out and new ones were glassed in and its been sitting in my shop for two years after my father had an accident and died 50 feet from the boat. I have decided its time to get back on it and finish her. I plan on posting my progress and look forward to getting her back together.
Here is what she looked like two weeks before before I ripped her apart.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... =slideshow
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Heres some pics of the stringer rot and removal.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... ger%20rot/
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Nice boat. Hope you get her back together soon. Sorry to hear about your father. Was he involved in the project?
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

very sorry to hear about your father, i am new to these boats, i feel bad even having to ask a ?? i to and in a restore but im not good with the terms yet, stringer? i know everyones laughing at me by now. is this where the glass turns in and overlaps to for a 90 structure? sorry i even had to ask, but you are fixing something that i may over look on mine. i feel horrible. im sure your father is looking down on you with great joy and guidance....
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Replaced gas tank platform. (just finished this today)

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... 20rebuild/
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Jeff. stringers are the "spine "of the boat. on my boat they were constructed with two sheets of plywood laminated together then wrapped in fiberglass. when thet cut "drain" holes to allow trapped water to flow down to the bilge pump they simply painted the exposed wood instead of sealing it. my stringers were completly rotted away.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Misc pics of the gutted interior. Still have alittle more demo to do but im trying to get the bilge done first

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg14 ... %20before/
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

damn i think im starting to get it, and to think i can put your car back to gather after a 80 mph wreck...uhg.... maybe im over looking it to hard. i see platforms where interior peices screwed into the fiberglass structure bends, i was scared they were to deep of screws, but maybe wood is in there, these are stingers? i would say where im thinking of is strucural areas like a spine. is a stringer one spot or several? damn i feel like an idiot. i should google huh? lol every screw i take out i scared i may poke a hole in the haul when i put it back
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

jefflaw35 wrote:damn i think im starting to get it, and to think i can put your car back to gather after a 80 mph wreck...uhg.... maybe im over looking it to hard. i see platforms where interior peices screwed into the fiberglass structure bends, i was scared they were to deep of screws, but maybe wood is in there, these are stingers? i would say where im thinking of is strucural areas like a spine. is a stringer one spot or several? damn i feel like an idiot. i should google huh? lol every screw i take out i scared i may poke a hole in the haul when i put it back
yes jeff, the stringers are what gives the vessel her internal 'bone structure' so to speak. google is a great tool, and NEVER feel that you are asking too many questions buddy. that's what we are here for. if you don't know, ask. no one is going to laugh at you or put you down for not knowing. that is how we all learned about our boats. there are books a plenty on basic boat maintenance and they are valuable tools. but, in the long run, proper planning, slow your pace down, a pad of paper to draw diagrams of what you have and a digital camera to document something BEFORE you tear it apart....all good things to have. so, when shall i hop a plane and come down to help? i'm ready and able.
oh, and ALWAYS have containers to put hardware in that is removed and can be saved. screws have a tendency to just vanish! :)
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Hi Todd,

Haven't seen you around here for awhile.

Condolences on your dad.

Although boats are inatimate objects, lots of memories are made on them. I hope you both had an opportunity to enjoy some time together on her.

Last we exchanged e-mails you were just starting this project. I had NO IDEA it would end up being so extensive!

With everything being done RIGHT, why not consider dropping in a couple of 4 or 6 cylinder diesels now?

Would make a totally awesome vessel.

Here's a link.

http://www.boattest.com/resources/view_ ... ewsID=3361

and another article

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_ ... ewsID=3790

Glad you're bacjk and will be enjoying her soon.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
alexander38
Ultimate User

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by alexander38 »

looks like you went back to ply-wood ? is there a reason ?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

aaronbocknek is totally correct about taking lots of pictures and lableing and storing fastners. When I started I took very accurate measurements of stringer and bulkhead locations as well as exact measurments of the location of the engine mounts on the stringers. I have failed in the "lableing and storing" fastner department. if it was specific, un common hardware i labled and stored it but most general fastners ended up all over the place. I plan on replacing most but still should have labled for reference.
Don't be overly concerned about running a fastner too far through a hull. Take it from someone who had a a waterfountain sprout in the bilge of his first boat 1977 F28 trojan when he was was told by 3 people that the 1 inch screws that came with the new bilge pump were not too long! I drilled a pilot hole about 1/2 deep before the bit went through the bottom. the wife freaked, grabed some 5200 caulk and a larger screw and "patched" it. I fixed it correctly in the fall when the boat was pulled.
Just remember:
Fiberglass can be repaired.
if you pay someone to work on your boat they will screw it up worse than you 7 out of 10 times. (no attention to detail)
part of the "fun" with a boat is learning her inside and out and personalizing her to your liking.
start slow, take your time, measure 3 times before you cut or drill and have fun.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

RWS,
I can't tell you how many times i've thought of repowering with diesels! I'm still not sure exactly what i'll do with the engines. the crusaders that i pulled were origional with somewhere around 1500 to 2000 hours on them but they ran great. The base cost for the diesels is huge (as Im sure you know!) but the less than stellar performance and fuel economy of the gas engines is hard to swallow. I've been looking around alittle trying to find some low hour yanmars but dont want to buy someone elses problem. and the added cost of the struts, shafts and props. I figure with me doing most of the prep myself It would run around $40 to $45k to have a mechanic rig the diesels up for me (depending on the inital cost of the engines).
Total rebuilds of my engines would be somewhere around 8-10k
Freshing up my existing engines 4-6k
brand new engines 26-29k.

As I'm completly in over my head with everything at this point, I'm taking it one step at a time. I figure I can do the majority of the repairs without commiting myself to any particular power plant at this time. as I get closer I'll have to make the decission.
kind of makes that whole "sailboat thing" make more sense!!!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

yorklyn wrote:RWS,
I can't tell you how many times i've thought of repowering with diesels!
Total rebuilds of my engines would be somewhere around 8-10k
Freshing up my existing engines 4-6k
brand new engines 26-29k.
opps
Last edited by prowlersfish on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D