F32 sliding door frame distorting in rough seas

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lottanerv

Post by lottanerv »

The framing around my sliding glass door and stationary windows in the rear shfts and sways out of square in rough seas. As the boat rocks from side to side from wave action there is also a cracking/ creeking noise coming from the stbd side of this framing. I can see the framing around the stationary glass panels (on either side of the sliding glass door) move about 1 back and forth as the boat rocks. The more rocking the more movement. The rubber seal around the glass frames is slowly coming out from the movement.
What is going on? Is my boat braking a part? How worried should I be? How can this be reapaired.
I bought in the ocean in Southeast Florida.
Boaitng is escape
ScurvyDog

Post by ScurvyDog »

I don't think there is anything to worry about. My F32 flexes around the rear windows and doors. It creeks abit when it rolls in the waves. I have never had any of the rubber or doors pop out though.
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

Lotlanerv,
I think you have a prob that needs attention. Every boat has some sort of elasticity to it , but what you are saying is extreme I think. Did you not have a survey on this boat before you purchased it. Please before you head out in the waves again, have the boat gone over by a reputable person. :shock:
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Guys, I just went through this on my 32.

The framing is held together by horizontal threaded bolts, a couple of inches long at the tops and bottoms. Over time, these bolts rust and break. While they may appear to still be there, they will rust and not hold the top door frame together with the side or verticle frame, or pull out of the treaded insert.

The boat as most do, flex some. I took out the door and bottom threshold assy as one piece (easy- 5minutes) then find all the screws and slightly loosen, take some Dawn or similar dishwashing soap and spray in all the corners and sides where the glass meets the rubber. With a helper, hammer and a block of wood, gently tap in at the top and bottom evenly to square back up. Once back together, you can drill and put a stop screw in at the top of the threshold to keep the frame assy square. You may have a hard time trying to get the shrunk rubber seal and glass to fully seat where they meet by the side, if this is the case, then do what you can and take a small bead of clear silicone and apply where needed on both sides.

Hope this helps.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
lottanerv

Post by lottanerv »

Stripermann2,

Thanks, what a relief to find that I probably don't have a real seious problem. I need some clarification on the fix you propose. Are you saying I should remove the whole frame around all the glass panels in the rear? Should I replace the broken/rusted bolts you menion. Does the "stop screw" you suggest stop the swaying?
I guess I need the remedial instruction set.
Boaitng is escape
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

PM sent.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Striperman..

if you have anything on that porceedure, I'd be real interested too.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Please post instructions

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I have another F-32 in our marina that is down from mine with that same sway problem. I would like to be able to explain the repair to the owner so he can fix his. Can you post the instructions here on the forum.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Guys, I spoke with Lottanerve yesterday. His issue, is more than the salon glass coming out of square. It appears that his bridge is racking/twisting somehow possibly due to support issues, including the salon door and fixed glass area.

My offer, was of securing the fixed glass back into place and securing.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

I replaced the bulkhead under neath my cockpit door. Pics available and its a tough expensive job
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

As I said, when you have movement as to which Lottanerv was describing, you have a big problem. Lottanerv, be safe and solve the problem before you take the boat out again.
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com