'75 F 36's teeny tiny rudders

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peter
Moderate User

'75 F 36's teeny tiny rudders

Post by Peter »

Just came back from a trip from Huron, Ohio ( near Sandusky) on Lake Erie to northern Georgean Bay ( off north eastern Lake Huron for the geographically challenged ) with the wife and kiddies. Had a freaken ball...
but......Spent $ 5,257.17 on fuel over 12 days :x .Obviously lots of running the boat.
Thinking of selling,verses running more at trawler speed. Problem with trawler speed is hull design ( flatish derise,and tiny rudders which depend on substantial boat speed to steer the boat).already does not track well in an aft or quartering sea,and is pretty well unmanageable at trawler speed in any kind of moderate weather.
My question is how/where/who/if can I get larger rudders
? manufactured/designed ?, and if this is a reasonable and cost effective approached? alternative is to purchase a trawler,but I really like my "Midlife Crisis"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have thinking of going to smaller rudders to save fuel my self

heres one link
http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/sear ... ?q=rudders
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

My F32 has very small rudders also and all the marine services here in the northwest that I have talked to say that the easiest and most cost affective way to increase rudder control is to add stainless bolt-on rudder extensions, do it yourself or have it done.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Unless rudders were a lot smaller in '75 (mine are 1980's) you have a problem other than rudder size. Are you sure your rudders are parallel in the straight ahead position, or are they toed in or out? Mine were toed out about 1.5 inches when I bought the boat....someone had replaced the right rudder shaft and missdrilled the bellcrank hole.....and she handled like a PIG. I know the book says they are supposed to be toed in 1/4 inch or something like that, but I put mine within 1/16 inch of parallel. I frequently run at trawler speed in the ocean and have no problems with handling. You also might want to check for slop / lost motion in the steering actuator attach points and the bellcrank to rudder shaft bolts. Good luck!
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
JuiceClark
Moderate User

mine too

Post by JuiceClark »

Yeah...my rudders are pretty large as well. They are more than adequate for any slow speed and tight quartered situations I get into constantly. When I repowered 3 years ago and the boat was out of the water, you could grab either rudder and move it at least a couple inches with your hand....worn out. So, I paid for whatever was worn out and new packing.

You may have a similar situation and the buggers are moving around down there while you need control.

p.s. Can y'all imagine how much more efficient an F-36 would be (with the big keel, rudders, logs, etc) with a single screw?? I'd bet we lose 1/3rd efficiency with twins. A single 600hp diesel would fly if you tapered the keel at the back.