fuel savings?????

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bmack

fuel savings?????

Post by bmack »

Before I start with this I am in no way attached to any of this, I saw a video on my local station and thought I would investigate a little further. There is information going around the Internet regarding Hydrogen Generators that turn water and baking soda into HH2O (a gas) through electrolysis which is then introduced into the engine and is suppose to increase fuel mileage in cars and trucks, why not boats????????
What do you guys think?????
I am now strapped to the post for a beating. By the way just Google water4gas
Bil
thecode9000

Post by thecode9000 »

i was looking at HHO generators for my car on ebay yesterday and I thought to myself "Why not my trojan???"
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Hydrogen generators

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I'm and engineer and when you look at the amount of energy(which equates to money) required to be put in to the creation of the Hydrogen it will not yield and increase in energy. The cold fusion guys got caught trying to do prove they could get more energy out than they put in. So when you add up all the energy you put into the contraption that makes the hydrogen from the water which has to be pumped using energy to the equipment itself which requires energy to make to the other ingredients required which take energy and money to make and you add it all up, it is just as easy to put gasoline in the tank. About the only increase in that will be derived from the contraption is that hydrogen will burn and give out its energy more efficiently than gasoline.

If this could be done practically, don't you think GM or Toyota would bring it to market and use it as a tool to sway us towards buying their cars instead of a Chrysler or Ford?

Take the Toyota Hybrid cars for example, with the added cost of the hybrid versus the standard engine and taking into account the energy required to make the hybrid components and get that all to the car lot for you to buy, you will never break even over the life of the car. You will do better for the environment where you drive the car but if you look at the impact to the environment where the components are derived to make the hybrid battery and engine components those environments where the nickel is mined and the batteries are processed and have to be transported back and forth across the globe then those environments suffer.

End result. Just buy the gas stop worrying about the cost let the free market determine the cost and keep the government out of it all.

Boy was that a rant or what. Have a cold beer and relax.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I'm not an engineer but I also don't assume anything, so I made a HHO generator and tried it on a small push mower. IT DOES NOT WORK! It produces gas, but not enough at 10 amps DC current to make any difference in the running of 2.5 HP Briggs & Stratton. If it doesn't make a noticeable difference in an engine this small, it surely will not affect the mileage of a V-8 boat engine.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
JuiceClark
Moderate User

H will kill you

Post by JuiceClark »

Hydrogen blows up real gooood. Perhaps the "Ships Sail" application would be of interest if you're looking for fun, hobby-like alternatives to the gas pump. Hook this baby up to your windlass and go sailing:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attach ... 1213894248

http://www.skysails.info/index.php?L=1

about the damned gov't: If our current cradle to grave nanny state isn't too much, maybe alGore can share some of the $140 million he made last year on the GW scam and buy we Trojan luvers a lil' petrol!
rossjo
Ultimate User

But,

Post by rossjo »

But, If you used solar power to run the thing,then it would be cheap!

Just kidding. I'm a mechanical engineer as well, and the total Energy equation doesn't work out, unless you decide to create a huge tank of this stuff using a solar panel or something. That would be expensive, and dangerous!

We have ethanol in SC now, which help us reduce our mileage, and breaks free all kinds of gook to clog your injectors or carb jets - s ... BEWARE! You're only ally is a 10micron filter! I put them on my gas boats

Good ideas - keep them coming!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17