F26 Flybridge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

landandtimber

F26 Flybridge

Post by landandtimber »

I am 3 months into my first Trojan project. I have been around and owned boats my whole life and have always wanted to rework one. I have had my eye on Trojans for several years and finally stole one. I just finished rebuilding the Merc. 260 and it is ready to go in. I am thrilled to join up with this forum, appears to be a great resource for all of us owners.

I am looking at building a Flybridge for my 82' F26. The hardtop is there and it seems strong enough but I am not sure if the models that came with a flybridge had any extra reinforcement in the roof. Should I bank on adding any?

Is the flybridge removable on the originals?

I also have the original owners manual for this boat if anyone needs anything out of it. Thanks! SS

P.S. Any advice on convincing wives that a boat is always a good idea would be a great help.
1982 Trojan F-26 Hardtop

350 Mag Mercruiser Block, Mercruiser 260 fuel and electronics.
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

I would think very carefully before putting a fly bridge on a 26. Try to find one you can get out on before committing to the project. Once you have the bridge up there and sit in the sun for any length of time, you are going to want a bimini. All that adds up to a lot of extra weight and wind resistance. Having grown up with my Dad's a 33 ft. fly bridge cruiser, (back in the days of $0.40/gallon gas) I think the 26 (or even a 28 footer) is kind of small for a bridge, if you have more than one passenger, they will be down below enjoying the ride, while you are topside driving. The new boats built by Back Cove, Sabre Yachts, Little Harbor, etc. confirm that express style cruisers are very popular, even in larger boats. The Express layout with the lower helm station is more sociable if you enjoy passengers.

As for convincing your wife that the boat is a good idea, you might try telling her that with the boat restoration project, you won't have time, energy, or money for a mistress!!! On second thought, that's not such a good idea.
Good Luck with the project!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

F-26 Flybridge

Post by jon_e_quest »

I think you should consider that F-25's and F-26's have a handling flaw known as over-planing, where the bow suddenly (and with little warning) digs in, throwing the boat violently out of control. Flybridge models are more susceptible to this phenomenon.

On a sea trial with my previous F-25, the salesman began messing with the tabs and nearly threw my father-in-law out of the boat!

Refer to the following thread:

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... highlight=
Last edited by jon_e_quest on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
count brewski

Post by count brewski »

If after weighing all the pros and cons of a flybridge you decide to go ahead with it, I have the removable flybridge off of a 1973 30' (sea-raider or express, not sure which, maybe someone can help me here) that may suit your purposes....if interested, lemme know and I can get some pics and dimensions for you......CB
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

rather than a flybridge you might want to consider some kind of tower. I have an F26 and at times think it would be nice to have a higher vantage point.

The wife\boating thing-
Just tell her "honey I'd much rather spend my time with you (on a boat) on the weekend than be out golfing with a bunch of guys"-that will help close the sale.