Offer just acceted on 1981 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

Do all F32's have the ability to pressurize the system from the hose? All I saw in my quick inspection is a regular garden hose type spigot, maybe it is somewhere else.

I will add it to my list of things to ask the seller Wed at the sea trial.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

jeffsock wrote:Do all F32's have the ability to pressurize the system from the hose? All I saw in my quick inspection is a regular garden hose type spigot, maybe it is somewhere else.
Yes and No. Not all will be plumbed for 'dockside water', but you can add dockside water to any F32 with one of the many generic after-market kits.

If it has dockside water, the fitting will be like a normal hose style fitting in the hull, like this one or a plastic version:

If you have a full spigot (potentially port side underneath the side shelf in the cockpit?) it is probably a raw water wash down system. If hooked up, there will be a pump that pulls raw water through a fitting in the hull bottom (starboard side, outboard of the engine on my '79) and spits it out of the tap.
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

Not getting this one... see email from surveyor

"The cyilinders should be 125 psi each
1 & 2 were 100 / # 3 -125 psi / # 4 had water in it.
The manifold and risers on the inboard side of the starboard engine needs replacement.
The outboard was replaced according to owner
the spark plug wires are the wrong type, staright plug boots, need to be 90 degree bent type.
The wiring for the batteries needs up grading, new ends"

Who replaces one riser and manifold?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

jeffsock wrote:Who replaces one riser and manifold?
Someone who found water in the cylinders on the outboard side, fixed it, then put the boat up for sale!

Sorry this one didn't work out, BUT for what it's worth (good or bad), if you like the styling of the F32 there are a lot to choose from. AND... you just learned (and hopefully taught some people) the value of getting a survey, mechanical inspection, and seal trial before you buy!
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Jeff sorry to hear the results. Glad your surveyor checked that our for you. Like said above, there are tons of these boats out there. My Silverton was parked across from a 32 for sale here in CT. Not sure on her condition but it may not be too far from you.
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I believe there is one for sale in Clinton Ct also
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Water in engine

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Well now is the time to tell the owner you are interested in buying as is for $9,000. Or he can waste his time trying to find someone who won't do a survey. You can get new manifolds and risers installed and if the engines are low enough hours it might be fine. That way you can still get a great boat and fix the things that are wrong. If the hull is in good shape and the engines are low hours it might be worth it. Now you know why the price was a little low.

The spark plug wires may be an issue but my plug caps are straight on my 360's

The battery cables can be replaced pretty cheaply.

Now you are in the drivers seat at least. See how bad the seller wants out of it. A bird in hand with cash is better than two in the bush without cash.

The engine if low hours is not ruined if it had some water in the cylinders. Just get it fixed and dried out and after changing oil and some use it will be fine.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
EM63
Moderate User

Re: Water in engine

Post by EM63 »

TADTOOMUCH wrote:Well now is the time to tell the owner you are interested in buying as is for $9,000.
+1 - I agree 100 %. If the base is still in good shape, you can repair theese manifolds very easy (we have done this in last august)

Some rotten battery plugs are done in half an hour without any money.

So for me personally is there no reason not to buy this boat.
(exept you do not want to work anything at your boat - but Trojan's still needing some)
--
Greetings - Heiner
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

Thanks everyone for the comments. The surveyor said the engines are tired, low compression and high hours I think it was 2000 hours. Just seems like there are a lot of boats out there that will have the basics in tact.

A lot of you guys are much more mechanical than I am - I just want to avoid re powering a boat I buy this year.

I am also thinking of spending a little more for a newer boat that I can finance, since the interest is tax deductible as a second home, it is close to free money.

I was really hoping the engines checked out strong. I knew the boat was gonna need a lot of TLC, I was prepared for that. Thanks for all your help - hopefully I will end up with an F32 but also looking at a couple of Silvertons in the area.
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

Silverton - is a very stylish boat, never to compare with Trojan's.
All of the interior is more luxurious and shiny - it's just the end of
Trojans's idea of a very useful boat. But if you would ask me to choice
one of them - I prefer the timeless style of our F-32 ...

But do what your heart is telling you, Silverton's without problems ???
--
Greetings - Heiner
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

I agree the F32 is a better looking boat...more classic.

Seems like there are a lot more Silvertons for sale in my area.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

When we bought, we were looking at the Silverton 34 and the F32... I preferred the F32, but the Silverton is still a good option.
74TrojanF36

Post by 74TrojanF36 »

Go check out a F36! much more boat then the F32!
1974 Trojan F36 "GAMEBREAKER"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

74TrojanF36 wrote:Go check out a F36! much more boat then the F32!

Yes it is more boat but in fairness to the F32 Not sure I would say much more , I know both well , The 36 has some more room inside and a larger cockpit with more free board , you may not notice the size difference inside partly due to the lay out ( well done) . The biggest negative about the F36 it will burn more fuel as it weighs 33% more 12000 vs 16000

Both are well set up boats and I had considered both . I did end up with a F36 why ? hard top and diesels where the main reasons . I would have been happy with a F32 also .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

manifolds

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Well with 2000 hours on the engines I would run away from this boat then. Sounds like she was used a lot.

Repower may be an option for about $8,000

There are quite a few of the F-32's out there so keep looking and another one even better will show up.

Best wishes
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke