Who has under transom water lights?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jwrape
Moderate User

Who has under transom water lights?

Post by jwrape »

Over the 4th weekend there was a super sexy boat that every night would come into dock with these through hull under transom lights that illuminated the water behind the boat. It was bad a$$. I know I can't install through hull lights without pulling the boat but was wondering if anyone installed transom lights for a similar affect.

Anyone got pics of this?
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Haven't done it, but think it woudl be a neat idea (just not sure if the look is worth another half-dozen holes below the waterline!).

Abyss is one of the bigger light companies and have seen various dealers / distributors at the boat shows advertising their products : http://www.abysslite.com/
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Yea, I'm kinda thinking the same thing,but I am thinking more along the lines of mounting to the bottom of the transom.
Check these pics out
Very pretty if I do say so... :D Would look sweet while at the dock setting around with my Dock mates drinkin' a beer or two as we do every night. 8)
79' Carver 28' Mariner
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Yeah, those lights are neat. First time I saw them was when bareboat chartering 3 years ago in the BVI's. A yacht came into Saba Rock and turned on his underwater lights. Yikes, did it attract some big fish (I didn't jump into the water for a week after that) - then my buddy ordered them on his new SeaRay 44. They are a little less powerful but still pretty impressive. They do chew up scads of battery power though.

There's a new type out now that I saw advertised last winter (you've probably seen them) that can be mounted on your trim tab brackets (not the tab itself)

Rick
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

rickalan35 wrote: There's a new type out now that I saw advertised last winter (you've probably seen them) that can be mounted on your trim tab brackets (not the tab itself)

Rick
Eww where did you see those?
79' Carver 28' Mariner
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Actually, when I think about it a little more, the first time I really saw underwater lights like these were on Richard Dreyfuss's boat in the movie Jaws. And on that note, those eerie green glow lights remind me of the martians spacecraft in Richard Dreyfuss's other movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

rickalan35 wrote:Actually, when I think about it a little more, the first time I really saw underwater lights like these were on Richard Dreyfuss's boat in the movie Jaws. And on that note, those eerie green glow lights remind me of the martians spacecraft in Richard Dreyfuss's other movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."
No, don't want the green one's, white or Blue would be fine
79' Carver 28' Mariner
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

JW

Look up http://www.Hurleydavits.com for the trim tab underwater lights - not cheap.

Rick
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

WoW! those are only about $150 less than the through hull lights. Good idea but not gonna happen. I have too many other things to buy for this ship. :D
79' Carver 28' Mariner
LHFixer

Post by LHFixer »

I cant imagine what that would look like in the Patapsco or the Chesapeake. a slightly brighter brown shade, with hazy outlines of shopping bags, gatoraide bottles and other bits I would imagine. The oil on the surface might create a nice effect though

Eric
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

LHFixer wrote:I cant imagine what that would look like in the Patapsco or the Chesapeake. a slightly brighter brown shade, with hazy outlines of shopping bags, gatoraide bottles and other bits I would imagine. The oil on the surface might create a nice effect though

Eric
Eww and I thought Lake Lanier was dirty. That sounds nasty.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
LHFixer

Post by LHFixer »

Well, we have a few refineries, one of the busiest ports in the country and, with the addition of a lovely promenade, tons of trash from the foot traffic. ...If we only had a cracken...that'd show 'em

Eric
Obaby

I went with Deepsea (local to me in San Diego)

Post by Obaby »

Guys i looked around before installing one. DONT get one of those $450 cheap thru-hulls lights that just came out. They barely put out 800 lumens ( you might as well hold a flashlight underwater)

Although I didnt want an AC underwater light, with DC there was just no comparison in quality and output. I have ~ 11000 lumens vs the cheapo's

I spent ~$2800 on mine and it was worth every penny ! I luv it.

Water clarity is also critical but when I'm at Catalina Island it's the most beauitiful Aqua Blue light you'll ever see. (In the green harbor it goes out (and around) about 35' . In the Pacific ocean, squid & other curious creatures come around. *Note in Mexico it's illegal to fish with it on *

Whatever you do, compare before spending the money ! You get what you pay for, trust me..!! If you just want a little color, go the cheap route and get colored lenses. (some company had trim tab mounted lights that really looked nice, cant remember the name though )

I'll take some pics and post for everyone
Patrick

* note- cant run the light while on plane as you need water to cool the transom mounted SS light *
Trojan 11 Meter International (87)
New Twin MP 502's 8.2
Westerbeke 5KW
Oceanside Harbor San Diego
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

rjcress wrote:I have some cheap (as in less than $20) LED lights that I'm going to attach to my trim tabs just to see if they work. I'll encase them in epoxy before I install them.
It won't be remotely the display that Obaby is talking about, but I don't have a budget for this project.
I thought about that but they don't have the illumination i am looking for. I guess I will just wait for a couple years until I pull it to have the hull painted again.
79' Carver 28' Mariner