Treatment for Teak Swim Platform

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Treatment for Teak Swim Platform

Post by The Dog House »

My teak swim platform is a bit weathered. What would be a good wood treatment that would not be slippery when wet? A lot of the typical wood treatments are not really suitable for a swim platform.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I use Cetol. There is 'regular' (that has some tint to it), 'light' (that has no tint) that are both safe for surfaces under foot. There is also a Cetol Gloss that can be applied over top of a Cetol finish, but Gloss is not good for platforms as it does get slippery when wet.

1f9f6ad0.jpg
1f9f6ad0.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

:shock: WOW what a pretty swim deck Capt!!! very nice!
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

If Cetol can make my swim platform look like that, count me in! Your swim platform is beautiful. Mine is very weathered (see avatar), and my goal is to get it looking like yours.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Give it a good cleaning (strip first if needed), then a bit of a sanding.

Depending on how weathered or rough it is it might take just a light sanding, or a bit more effort. When I restore my platform I used a 9" random orbital sander with 120 grit. If yours is a mess you might start with something more coarse to get the worst off, then go 120 or 150 to smooth it out.

I actually took mine apart and took it home in pieces so I could sand and properly Cetol all sides ... for you, getting into those slots is going to be the painful part (use a small piece of 1x2 as a sanding block with 120 grit on it).

First coat will sink in a lot, as the wood sucks it up. Second coat will start to seal and sit on the surface in spots, while still absorbing in others. Third coat will pretty much sit on top and seal. Fourth coat is a solid seal. Go for 5 if you wanna really hedge your bets. Best of all - no sanding between coats. Just wipe down to remove any dust or dirt that may be sitting there, and splash the next coat on.

4 coats Cetol will probably look good for 3-4 years before you need a maintenance coat. Quick hand sanding or really quick pass with fine 150+ grit paper on a random orbital finishing sander, then splash it on (after removing dust, of course).

I first did mine about 10-12 years ago. I think I have applied 1 or 2 mtce coats twice since then, about 4 years apart. What you see in the pic is 2 or 3 years old. I am in fresh water (Lake Ontario) vs salt, but climate and sun are probably pretty similar between where you and I are.

The regular Cetol (with pigment) helps hide blemishes and colour differences in the wood. The pigment in it makes everything a uniform colour. Some people think it looks orange-ish and don't like it for that reason. I don't have a problem with it, and lots of people stop me to ask what I used, so it can't be that bad!

Cetol Light (without the pigment) lets more of the original wood colour and grain show through. With it you end up with a lighter colour result, but any inconsistent sanding or prep, or staining in the wood that you don't get out in your prep, will show through.

Here are links to my 'wood finishes' gallery:
Wood Finish examples (part 1)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... f=1&t=3206

Wood Finish examples (part 2)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... =1&t=12738

The pulpit picture gives you better idea of Cetol light colouring and how grain etc shows through. This is Gloss - which is colourless and just adds shine - over Cetol Light, applied to teak. You DON'T want Gloss on your platform... too slippery.

The speaker and VHF box on the bridge are regular Cetol over oak, while the drink holder and board the VHF box is attached to (and holds my stereo) is regular Cetol over teak. You will notice that the regular Cetol 'hides' the natural differences between the teak and oak - that's an example of how it can hide blemishes.

Regardless of what you choose - good luck, and glad that you know you need to find something that is not slippery when wet!
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Captainmaniac is right on the money. I did mine the same way and find that it requires maintenance every 3-4 years. It was time for maintenance last year so I took the opportunity to also powrercoat the aluminum castings in gloss white.

Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Not to hijack... but hey Paul - have you ever had to repair the cast aluminum pieces? Where the bolts go through for the 2x2s (at the aft end), there is a 'tab' on each side. For a couple of my supports, a 'tab' has snapped off at the bolt hole. I used alumiweld or something like that (that 2 part epoxy putty that you can get for glass, aluminum, steel, etc...) to fab a new tab for a temp fix about 4 years ago and still holding, but not sure about how best to permanently fix...
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Cetol is the winner. Used the light one time and the last time I used the natural, which does not have an orange tint to it. Sand it down, cetol it and just relax for a couple-three years. I have touched mine up in the last 4 years without any need to redo the whole thing. I mixed in some anti-skid powder with the final coat because it can get slippery when wet.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

I use Silkens Cetol Marine Light.

John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

cetol for me too

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Image,

Regular Cetol on my Tri

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

jhalb wrote:I use Silkens Cetol Marine Light.

=================================

John,

could you snap a close up photo of the ladder support you have on the edge of your swim platform?

That would be a definate improvement to what I presently have (rubber bumpers)

THANKS !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Not a great pic. They are held on by 2 screws each from the bottom.

John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

captainmaniac wrote:Not to hijack... but hey Paul - have you ever had to repair the cast aluminum pieces? Where the bolts go through for the 2x2s (at the aft end), there is a 'tab' on each side. For a couple of my supports, a 'tab' has snapped off at the bolt hole. I used alumiweld or something like that (that 2 part epoxy putty that you can get for glass, aluminum, steel, etc...) to fab a new tab for a temp fix about 4 years ago and still holding, but not sure about how best to permanently fix...
Captainmaniac, lucky for me that all of my castings are in good shape with no cracks. If I was to have one of those tabs break however, or any other part of these castings, I would bring it to a fab/tool shop and have it TIG welded.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB