A request from a really NEW boater

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rufflivin

A request from a really NEW boater

Post by rufflivin »

Finally the '78 F32 is running fine. I start and shut down from both helms. Still don't have a low oil buzzer working on the port engine but the starboard makes lots of noise.

The biggest problem I now have is maintenance. I took driver's ed in high school in the 60's so I know about where to check and replenish the oil. But I have no idea where to check my transmission fluids; where to check out the impellers. At least I do know about the Stuffing Box (I thought that was something you used at Thanksgiving when you visited Grandma.)

I have 275 hp Chyrslers and have tried googling that with key words diagram so maybe I could find a graphic that shows me where these very important components are.

My question: does anyone know where I can get something like this, with a graphic so I can do the proper checks on a regular basis?

Had a nice 3 hour run from Cape Charles VA to our home port in Smithfield VA. I know a 34 year old boat is a champ but I must treat her with respect and care!! Thanks for your help.l
Frank Brown
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Frank, try using the Search feature on this forum, there are some threads with pictures. Here is one with a pic of the pump:

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... 95&start=0
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Frank , I would be happy to run over there and go over the systems with you . Just let me know .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Frank, there's a few of us in Tidewater that could come over and help you out...just give us a shout ... :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
rufflivin

Post by rufflivin »

Thanks. I am now about to put in a new bilge pump ... the other just passed away and I have h20 up front. Pumped most of it out today around teaching class and going to our boaters' club meeting here in Smithfield.

I appreciate getting to know Trojan owners in Tidewater esp and I look forward to meeting all. Tomorrow is bilge pump day (I hope!!)
Frank Brown
rufflivin

newbie report

Post by rufflivin »

Bilge pump working fine!! Yeah. Now if I could figure out why the port nav light has no power coming to it. The electrical panels are so confusing ... I have the schematic but nothing shows when I put the meter to the connections and finding which are nav lights and which are bow lights, etc is also confusing.

I replaced the bulb and used Di-electric gel to no avail. I want to go out on for the fireworks on the 3rd of July but not if the Smithfield police will pull me for no port nav light!! It is a perko A16 unit but it has been in place a LONG time and it did not move after removing the screws.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Frank Brown
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

When I took the side lights off the toe rails, they extended down into the teak toe rail. There was a hole drilled in the toe rail about .5 inch in diameter that the light went into. They were quite difficult to get off even with the screws out due to the bedding. The wiring was located behind the paneling in the V berth. I ended up damaging the port side light in getting it off. It probably had not ever been off the boat. My boat has the teak toe rail option (unfortunately since I have to take care of the teak). Yours may be different if you do not have the teak. It is pretty simple to get the panel out in the V berth if you need to access the wiring. Did you check the contacts in the light for corrosion?
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
rufflivin

Post by rufflivin »

Thanks. I'll check the V berth (just tightened the teak board holding it in so it should come out. B4 using the gel, I used a steel brush on the contacts so they were clean and clear of any corrosion.
Frank Brown