glue on inner hull

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rooferdave
Moderate User

glue on inner hull

Post by rooferdave »

sorry for all the posts, I am feeling ambitious today, a number of pieces that are glued to the inner hull to screw plywood to have fallen off and the original glue is stuck to the hull, the PO apears to have used pl 400 over the old and it just fell off, how tho remove this w/o hurting the fiberglass?

chisel scares me, grinder seems like a not so smart idea due to dust and the outside has somm issues under the gunnals and would annoy my neighbours, or do I just go over with 5200?
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

If the original 'glue' looks, well, like a stale old Slo-poke sucker (caramel in color and brittle in consistency) then it will chisel off. Mostly. If your 'glue' has a slightly pink hue and is still flexible after all these years, then good luck getting that off. Of anything!

The F-36 I completely 'disassembled' last year used both types.
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

I have the old slow poke sucker type, I will try the chisel today as I said I was worried about hurting the fiberglass, let you know how it goes
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

double post