Trojan International 10.8 Meter EXPRESS

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

wow

all this information needs to be culled and saved.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

The Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express

The Pershing Yacht 40

Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express

The Pershing Yacht 40

The Pershing Yacht 40
Last edited by todd brinkerhoff on Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Pershing Yachts:

The Pershing Yacht story began in 1981 with wooden boats built by 3 seagoing fanatics, each with considerable yacht building experience and a passion for fast cruising yachts. By 1985, the Pershing 45’ was born, designed in collaboration with Fulvio De Simoni and met with instant success, due to its numerous innovations. By the early 1990’s, Pershing had expanded to a worldwide yacht dealer network, with over 70% of their production going to the Far East and United States.

In 1998, Pershing became part of the Ferretti Group and gained worldwide exposure through the intense marketing efforts of yachts by this conglomerate, which has resulted in an expansive range of sport yachts and ultimately large motor yachts, with an emphasis on speed and handling. In 2004, Pershing opened a new manufacturing headquarters in Mondolfo, Italy to adapt and implement the latest technologies and materials used in the construction of yachts.

A 1990 Pershing 45

Pershing 108

ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Pershing 72 at Little Current, North channel, Georgian Bay, ONTARIO
This one had Arneson surface drives... you could see the rooster tail from miles away before you saw the boat. :)

Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

In March, 1985, Whittaker sold part of its interest in Bertram and three other marine companies to Investcorp in a leveraged buyout. The transaction results in Whittaker’s portfolio becoming three newly formed companies. One, Bertram-Trojan, Inc., acquires the assets of the Bertram Yacht and Trojan Yacht divisions. In 1986 Bertram introduces its sleek and newly styled 37 Convertible, that is considered by many as the "best mid-size convertible in its class".

Comparison between the Bertram 37 Convertible, that was produced between 1986 and 1993, and the Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express Hulls, produced from 1990 until 1992:

Bertram 37 Convertible
LOA - 39'
LWL - 37' 9"
Beam - 13' 3"
Draft - 3' 9"
Deadrise - 18 Degrees

Trojan Internation 10.8M Express
LOA - 39' 4"
LWL - 36' 5"
Beam - 13' 2"
Draft - 3' 7"
Deadrise - 18 Degrees

Bertram 37

Trojan 10.8M Express

Bertram 37

Trojan 10.8M Express

Bertram 37

Trojan 10.8M Express

Bertram 37

Trojan 10.8M Express
Last edited by todd brinkerhoff on Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Todd

Great job on your research of the Trojan 10.8 Meter Express, particularly with so little current information available. After reviewing your posts I have just a few comments.

First, in my opinion the 10.8 Meter Express, as the last model developed, was one of the most sophisticated designs ever produced at Trojan from concept through execution. If I were going to purchase a Trojan it would be the 10.8 M Express. As you may find, there is a world of difference in the design details and quality between the Trojan 10.8 M and the Carver model that is similar.

The reasons that Trojan produced so few 10.8 M Express models were because industry wide the market was off by 85% during the luxury tax era and Trojan did not have the financial resources available to produce many boats of any model after the 10.8 M Express was developed due to the financial condition of Bertram-Trojan, Inc. just before its filing for Chapter 11. The NMMA stated that, as a result of the luxury tax, 24 boat manufacturs went out of business including Trojan and Bertram.

With regard to performance, as you probably know, weight is a major factor along with wind and sea conditions. The speed of a planning hull is very weight sensative. Increased weight due to hard tops and other aftermarket items as well as owners gear can make a tremendous difference. With increased weight, props sometimes need to be adjusted to keep the engines running at the proper RPM's to optimize speed and fuel efficiency.

The main reason for installing V-Drives in the 10.8. Meter Express was to increase the amount if interior space forward of the engines.

Again, excellent job on your research.

Best Regards,

Charlie
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Thanks Charlie! It was great talking to you. It is always a tremendous opportunity to talk to a an executive from Trojan. I thank you for your assistance in gathering information on this rare, but fantastic boat. The more I learn, the more excited I get about owning a rare gem.

Here is a good article on some of the benefits a of V-drive, and specifically a remote V-drive, which the 10.8 Meter Express has;

http://www.sbmar.com/articles/why_v_dri ... hy_remote/
Last edited by todd brinkerhoff on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Todd,

all of this deserves to be saved for posterity.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

RWS wrote:Todd,

all of this deserves to be saved for posterity.

RWS
Hey RWS,

Let me know what you need for you Trojan International site. I'd be happy to assist.

Peter-NL

Post by Peter-NL »

Todd,

Thank you for all the information on the 10.8 meter.

I have just purchased a 10.8 trojan with cat 3116 in Europe (i am from the Netherlands) This is probably the only one here in Europe.
I think i have building nr. 16. It has all the options even an autopilot and saltwater converter.

I have also a big cradle full of all kind of books and papers of trojan and of the 10.8 with the boat. I will sort them out and scan the important ones and put them online.

If you have more info on the 10.8 i would be happy to hear it. Reading your lasts post about the 10.8 made a big smile on my face:-)
Aura 1991 10.8 meter express
3116 cat 300hp
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Peter-NL wrote:Todd,

Thank you for all the information on the 10.8 meter.

I have just purchased a 10.8 trojan with cat 3116 in Europe (i am from the Netherlands) This is probably the only one here in Europe.
I think i have building nr. 16. It has all the options even an autopilot and saltwater converter.

I have also a big cradle full of all kind of books and papers of trojan and of the 10.8 with the boat. I will sort them out and scan the important ones and put them online.

If you have more info on the 10.8 i would be happy to hear it. Reading your lasts post about the 10.8 made a big smile on my face:-)
That's awesome Peter. Another Diesel. Can you put up your hin number so i can figure out when your boat was made and hull #? Also, please post your experiences with the boat and any pictures. We're a small group, so I'm interested in everyones opinions and experiences. You have some very unique features.

Hopefully a Trojan book will include this very unique boat.

Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Looks like a nice one in Ohio for sale.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/3238379960.html
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Wish it was diesel...might be tempted....

todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Double post... :shock:
Last edited by todd brinkerhoff on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

this has to be, hands down, one of the most fascinating threads on this site. i've read it over at least twice and i find i'm gaining more and more insight into this particular model. all this VALUABLE information needs to be incorporated into the upcoming trojan book. if not, it needs to be printed and bound as a stand alone entity unto itself. if any of you intend on doing a history of the 'last' 10.8 meter express, including background info, pics, designs, etc.... i'd love a hard copy of this. i know that there are others out there just as interested. thanks todd and 'boatbuilder' for making my 'not so good chemo day' much better. it gave me something else to focus on this morning. again, thanks.

tri cabin aaron, baltimore, md.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com