tri-cabin owners proof read

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

k9th wrote:I have the 1979 sales brochure which the original owner kept with the boat documents. The sales guy even hand wrote the deal he offered in the brochure.

If you want it Doug I will be glad to scan it to a PDF file and email it to you. It is in excellent condition.
tim, i'd love to have a scan of that too!!! :D
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

here is a 1975 tri cabin on yacht world that has some of the original 1975 sales brochure pics, in harvest gold and black no less!!! and get a look at the 'owners wife' in the galley pics...... gotta love the late 1970's.....
can you cut and paste some of those brochure pics for the chapter?
aaron

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 39186&url=
Last edited by aaronbocknek on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

prowlersfish wrote:I have a 1980 ? trojan spec sheet and it lists the apox weight as 15,500 , 500 lbs less then the conv. I do find that low But thats what it says . I thought I have seen it listed heavier then that in other Trojan info .

And Don't forget about the Tri-Fly
I have two different specs that say 16,500 and 17,500 for 1980 so I think the 17,500 is the correct one. One problem is sometimes Trojan did not date the material making it hard for me to figure the model years.

I have the Tri-Fly as a stand alone model (model 360) so it will have separate pages. I did this 32 sedan, sportfisherman, and express. It gives me more room for photos.

I'll be doing the long running 36 sedan soon so stand by Paul.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

k9th wrote:I have the 1979 sales brochure which the original owner kept with the boat documents. The sales guy even hand wrote the deal he offered in the brochure.

If you want it Doug I will be glad to scan it to a PDF file and email it to you. It is in excellent condition.
I would love it trojanbook@bellsouth.net

thanks Tim
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Aaron, yes send me photos of your dads boat, I will be covering the sea raider boats to but not in so much detail as the F and meter boats. Any brochures you can scan I can also use. It helps when I try and put a time together for a model. For some reason I knew this boat would be a problem, I just don't have that much info on it. I blew through the last 6 boats.

I've got most of my Hi Res photos from the power boat guide but I'll look at yacht world, they might be to small. The drafts are not Hi res but the book will be. It's going to look sharp!

Question, I've got the Tri-Fly (360) from 75 to 77?

Also, where it the tri cabin go after Canada, PA or MD?

Thanks to everyone for the help

trojanbook@bellsouth.net
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

summer storm wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:I have a 1980 ? trojan spec sheet and it lists the apox weight as 15,500 , 500 lbs less then the conv. I do find that low But thats what it says . I thought I have seen it listed heavier then that in other Trojan info .

And Don't forget about the Tri-Fly
I have two different specs that say 16,500 and 17,500 for 1980 so I think the 17,500 is the correct one. One problem is sometimes Trojan did not date the material making it hard for me to figure the model years.

I have the Tri-Fly as a stand alone model (model 360) so it will have separate pages. I did this 32 sedan, sportfisherman, and express. It gives me more room for photos.

I'll be doing the long running 36 sedan soon so stand by Paul.

The spec sheet I have is not dated but it was with a 1980 price list ( for a F36 conv.) in my book so it could be older as it has the tri fly listed . I sometimes thing they list the weight low for shipping reasons . and the real weight was higher
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

doug, the sea raider tri cabin and the f-36 tri cabin was manufactured in niagra on the lake ontario a the shepherd/trojan factory from 1968 (for the 1969 model year) until late 1977 with the redesigned raised aft deck and under salon engines. then, i believe, in late 1978 they were produced in tandem at lancaster, pa and canada. in 1979 for the 1980 model year they were manufactured in lancaster, exclusively, until the end of the model run in 1987 :cry:

dad has a ton of information too from when we bought bubala 3, including all the sales sheets from taylor hatteras trojan that was near annapolis.

in your book are you going to include personal stories too? if you are, i can write something about my experience growing up with the tri cabin from the day we saw the hull pulled from the mold to the day she was delivered to that sad day when dad sold her and my eventual quest to own my own tri cabin.

this is so great. i cannot tell you how stoked i am about this and, believe me, it keeps my brain functioning.

aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

summer storm wrote:Aaron, yes send me photos of your dads boat, I will be covering the sea raider boats to but not in so much detail as the F and meter boats. Any brochures you can scan I can also use. It helps when I try and put a time together for a model. For some reason I knew this boat would be a problem, I just don't have that much info on it. I blew through the last 6 boats.

I've got most of my Hi Res photos from the power boat guide but I'll look at yacht world, they might be to small. The drafts are not Hi res but the book will be. It's going to look sharp!

Question, I've got the Tri-Fly (360) from 75 to 77?

Also, where it the tri cabin go after Canada, PA or MD?

Thanks to everyone for the help

trojanbook@bellsouth.net
doug, i think the reason why this chapter in particular is the most involved, simply stated, it was one of the few designs that actually evolved and changed throughout the decades of the model run. i've seen a lot of trojans out there, but, hands down, this one actually morphed and was tweeked more than any. if you look at the f-36 sedan and the f-32, from day one until the very last day, aside from trim options and interior upgrades, the models stayed the same. nothing was really changes hull wise or super structure wise. the tri cabin went through probably 4 evolutions. when you compare the superstructure of the basic first f-36 tri cabin to the tri fly, the cabin sides were vastly different. the tri fly was more flat as opposed to the angular design of the basic tri cabin. heck, even with the redesign to the raised aft deck model, there were changes to the cabin sides to the eventual (late 1986 to 1987) aluminum and glass aft cabin escape hatch.

aaron

aaronbocknek@gmail.com
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

summer storm wrote:
jimbo36 wrote:Doug, No mention of the 383 & 400cid Chryslers which were common in the '72-76 models. My 1974 has 400 cid Chryslers 280 H.P. each. Also, I have 2x80 gal fuel tanks. good luck with your quest.
I can't find that info but I will look. 72 to 76 states fuel at 150 gal and twins to 560 hp but no engine makes.

thanks
560 H.P. would be the 400 & 383's @ 280 H.P. x 2 = 560H.P. :wink:
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

You wrote that the early boats had a teak bulkhead between the aft cockpit and the cabin. That bulkhead and the aft cabin door (all boats through 1976) was actually constructed with white Formica-like laminate outside and faux woodgrain laminate inside both glued over plywood with only a few bits of real teak trim.

Not news worthy, but 1972 interiors were completely trimmed with faux wood laminate (a carry-over from the 1971 Sea Raider) and not with teak veneer as in boats built from 1973. Some 72's had white laminate cabinetry and interior doors, while others had all teak cabinetry. Early Model 440 windshields lacked glazing in the side panels and had Eisenglass instead (another Sea Raider carry-over). Both are illustrations of how Trojan continually changed the specifcations of this model throughout it's entire production run. It's likely these running changes were a result of wanting to use up parts stock before switching to the new spec.

On that note, at least some 1977 models (maybe all?) continued with twin beds over twin fuel tanks and did not have a queen.

My 1972's fuel tanks are each 80 gal. Additional twin 40 gal tanks were an option.

As for engines, most boats through the late 70's seem to have used the optional 280hp Chrysler 400 (Chrysler introduced the 400 in 1972) when Chrysler ended all big block production in August of 1978.

Also, I have a 1970 Trojan brochure if you want background matertial for this chapter. ...Can't wait 'til you're finished!
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

jon_e_quest wrote:You wrote that the early boats had a teak bulkhead between the aft cockpit and the cabin. That bulkhead and the aft cabin door (all boats through 1976) was actually constructed with white Formica-like laminate outside and faux woodgrain laminate inside both glued over plywood with only a few bits of real teak trim.

Not news worthy, but 1972 interiors were completely trimmed with faux wood laminate (a carry-over from the 1971 Sea Raider) and not with teak veneer as in boats built from 1973. Some 72's had white laminate cabinetry and interior doors, while others had all teak cabinetry. Early Model 440 windshields lacked glazing in the side panels and had Eisenglass instead (another Sea Raider carry-over). Both are illustrations of how Trojan continually changed the specifcations of this model throughout it's entire production run. It's likely these running changes were a result of wanting to use up parts stock before switching to the new spec.

On that note, at least some 1977 models (maybe all?) continued with twin beds over twin fuel tanks and did not have a queen.

My 1972's fuel tanks are each 80 gal. Additional twin 40 gal tanks were an option.

As for engines, most boats through the late 70's seem to have used the optional 280hp Chrysler 400 (Chrysler introduced the 400 in 1972) when Chrysler ended all big block production in August of 1978.

Also, I have a 1970 Trojan brochure if you want background matertial for this chapter. ...Can't wait 'til you're finished!
jon-e-quest.... the solid side bridge 'windows' were a result of my dad speaking at length with the plant manager, peter francis, both on the phone and when we visited the shepherd plant in feb of 1972. i sat in on the meeting with dad and peter and one of the engineers. after the meeting it was agreed that shepherd would install lexan, safety glass was added for the 1973 model year. dad was adamant that those side windows be enclose as opposed to strata glass/canvas, for safety of my brother, sister and myself. mom was instrumental at having shepherd add accessible storage under the pull out salon sofa and adding an opening storage area behind the slanted mirror in the master head. these changes were later incorporated in later model runs. as for the aft bulkhead, you are indeed correct. and it was one of the weakest links of the cockpit tri cabin. we were also one of the first to have 'shore water' installed. at the time, it was not even an option on the tri cabin, but, again, dad and mr. francis hashed things out so that ours was most unique. we also had the swim platform and the teak toe rails added, again, very rare for the 1972 model year.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

talkinga bout fuel tanks, my trojan was converted (twin 454's) in 2009 and i have 4 total tanks with "80 GAL" stamped on them.... was that an option or did the PO add those?
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Vitaliy wrote:talkinga bout fuel tanks, my trojan was converted (twin 454's) in 2009 and i have 4 total tanks with "80 GAL" stamped on them.... was that an option or did the PO add those?
what year is your tri again? when the redesign took place, according to the 1982 brochure i have, extra tankage could be added under the salon as wing tanks, additional to the tank under the center aft berth or under the two p/s twin berths on the 77-80 models. i do not recall any of the flush deck tri cabins having this option though. if your tri is pre flush deck design model year the extra tanks were added by the PO.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

jon_e_quest wrote:You wrote that the early boats had a teak bulkhead between the aft cockpit and the cabin. That bulkhead and the aft cabin door (all boats through 1976) was actually constructed with white Formica-like laminate outside and faux woodgrain laminate inside both glued over plywood with only a few bits of real teak trim.

I'm working on fixing the engine options and yes if you have a brochure and can scan it it would be very useful. trojanbook@bellsouth.net

By the way do you have a nice photo of your 72, I don't like to one I've got.

Aaron, same question, any high res color photo will work. Maybe you can scan a photo of your dads boat.

thanks guys, it helps
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

aaronbocknek wrote:
Vitaliy wrote:talkinga bout fuel tanks, my trojan was converted (twin 454's) in 2009 and i have 4 total tanks with "80 GAL" stamped on them.... was that an option or did the PO add those?
what year is your tri again? when the redesign took place, according to the 1982 brochure i have, extra tankage could be added under the salon as wing tanks, additional to the tank under the center aft berth or under the two p/s twin berths on the 77-80 models. i do not recall any of the flush deck tri cabins having this option though. if your tri is pre flush deck design model year the extra tanks were added by the PO.
its the 74 model, there are twin tanks on each side (identical tanks) in the main saloon which in my pinion is a VERY idiotic design, as it makes it vertually imposible to get anywhere behind the tank (such as the shutoffs) water and septic system along with all hte piping back there, theres simply no acces to it due to the tanks...