How many of You have ....

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

cuppa

How many of You have ....

Post by cuppa »

Replaced the Fuel Tanks in your F36...

When did you do it and Why?

Were they leaking , or did you just think it was time to do it...

Looking at a 78 that has original tanks and I am curious If I can get 5 more years out of these tanks. They show no leaking not or fumes..

I know alot of people have replaced them but I am not shure if it was a project on the list or if there was a problem...

Has any one seen Fibreglass tanks that were put in in the last 10 years the boat has 2 cylindircal tanks that look like they are fiberglass but can be sure. They were supposed ly put in in 1999..

Wouldn't the E10 gas do a job on these? how long would they be good for?
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Cuppa,

My port side gas tank developed a leak three years ago (boy, do those fumes render the boat unlivable in a hurry) and I had no choice on my TriCabin but to pull out the entire salon floor (new carpets and all... aughhhhh) and remove the offending tank. Upon checking, that particular tank was rusted paper thin all across the bottom. Ended up deciding to use the same tanks over again (due to the problem and cost of procuring new, approved tanks in the correct shape) and utilize the technology whereby they coat the insides with fiberglass, then pressure test them. Guaranteed for ten years.

While I was at it, I put in a new fresh water tank and a new black water holding tank.

Big job. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Trojan didn't figure we'd be pulling the floors I guess.

Regarding the new gasoline...... I don't even want to think about it.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
cuppa

Tanks

Post by cuppa »

Thanks for the Reply What did the Re coat of the tank cost you?

Was that done recently.. Do you have Ethanol E10 Gasoline in Canada?

Have you had issues with the fibreglass?
fpawn1

Post by fpawn1 »

what were the tanks made of? galvanized??
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Cuppa,

Well one thing for sure, is the fact that my marina is not selling Ethynol mixed gasoline at this time. I believe that this ethynol situation is all downside for us though, with no real positive effects for boaters at all in that the E8 and E10 is documented to incur problems in some types of older fiberglass tanks and also metal tanks.

The lucky ones will be the newer boats with plastic tanks.

By the way, it's also a really bad idea to mix todays MTBE gas with the E10 because the two when mixed tgether can gum up valves etc. I've heard that marinas in the U.S. are asking their customers to completely drain their tanks before commiting to E10.

It's had to believe this situation won't be fertile ground for future class action lawsuits.

Re: Coating the inside of my old tanks - $400. per tank not inlcuding installation. Obviously they knew they had a captive audience.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Fpawn - yep, cylindrical galvanized
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I replaced mine last winter due to a diesel repower. You can't get the original tanks out without pulling the engines or cutting a BIG hole in the side of the hull. The aluminum tanks I put back in are 4 inches shorter in height than the originals so I can get them out with the engines in if I ever need to. My old galvanized tanks (1980) were in good condition and could have gone another 10-15??? years.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I replaced my 1974 (f-32) tanks when I repowered to diesel as well. I cut the originals open and they were PERFECT. Those old tanks would likely have outlived my new tank