convertible vs tricabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kevin babineau
Moderate User

convertible vs tricabin

Post by kevin babineau »

Well if you've been following my posts you guys know I have a sedan with bunks and a tricabin. which both of them need extensive work .. Now I don't mean to offend anyone and both boats are beautiful ..it seems when researching this is sedan convertible brings in more money. The tricabin is more yachtish with its 2 bedroom 2 baths .. I'm not going deep sea fishing . but I'm curious to what use guys think . how many tricabin guys wish they had the sedan .. and vise a versa.. as far as strength and structurally ..
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I'm tru-blu Trojan to the bone and I've alwat been a Conv. guy. Solidly. That is until recently when guys like Aaron and Tim have shared so much about thier tri's.

Still a conv. guy, but developing a taste for the right tri's.

Also still looking for a 14m. I like the green and white in that one.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

To me it all depends on what style boating you are going to do. My wife and I like to take off on weekends and for a couple of weeks on vacation in the summer and cruise to different destinations on Lake Michigan. We often entertain other friends and family members aboard also so the comfort and room that the tri-cabin affords is ideal for us.

I have mine set up to be able to do some trolling but it is really not a good boat to fish from IMO. I know Ron fishes from his all the time so I guess it depends on what type of fishing you are going to do also.

For our purposes, the tri-cabin is perfectly suited for us.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

First forget about what boat brings more money ,making money on project boats in these times is pretty hard , losing money on a boat is the norm .

I like the convertible myself has all the room we need . They tri is a nice boat but not my style . Its not about what boat is better .Its about what boat fits your needs better and what YOU like better .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

A tricabin is great for entertaining, but not for serious fishing. Which are you going to do more of? Consider the following points in favor of the tri:

- two widely separated staterooms. :wink:
- two separate, independent heads. Trust me, when your only toilet goes out, it takes the life out of the party.
- covered entertaining/seating area next to the skipper is the place to be at the dock or underway, in good weather or bad.
- only way in or out of the cabin is to go by the skipper -- makes it easy to keep track of where kids are, unlike a flybridge, where everyone comes and goes below and behind you.
- being closer to the boats center of gravity (lower I believe, compared to a convertible), the helm does not move from side-to-side so much in heavy seas.
- ladies really love the forward deck bench seating.
- on that same note, the area above the salon makes a great place for the ladies to work on their tan, and is conveniently located in direct view of the skipper!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i tend to agree with all the points p-dogg brought up. what i like the most about the tri is the salon area, even in the winter. what i would do is close off the fwd and aft cabin doors, turn on my ceramic marine space heater and within a matter of minutes, the cabin would warm up to a very comfortable temp. pop in a microwave snack, put on a dvd of battlestar galactica or dr. who and you could not hope for a better winter relaxation place. for me, being a dog owner, the fact that maccabee is no more than 3 steps away is perfect. he can safely navigate the decks too, although he did venture up to the forward deck on the f-32 when i was working up there one day. how he did that, i will never know, but he did. as for low center of gravity.... that is one of the selling points that swung mom and dad on the tri. it is a very stable boat, and you don't feel like you are going to tip over in a wake or heavy sea. they also liked that the boat had 3 distinct 'sleeping' areas for a family of 5. my brother and i up front, my sister in the salon and mom and dad aft. heck, one time we were anchored out and when it rained for two solid days, all of us had a place to go w/ out killing each other. my favorite spots were napping while underway up front on the fwd seat or in the v-berth area. cheryle, my sister caused more than a few canoes to capsize anchored out near the tidal basin in dc while she sunbathed in her string bikini on the cabin roof.... i like the tri because it's easy to move around on too.... and phil (when he ever shows up) likes the wide side decks as he is NOT the most surefooted individual god ever put on this planet. also, engine access is great on the tri. i found the f-32's engine compartment to be a bit cramped for me to work comfortably in.

the bottom line is what type of boating you like to do, what type of entertaining, if any, you like to do, and the amount of usable living space you want. remember, trojans crammed a ton of living space in a little footprint. they were masters of it.

hope this helps.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

convertible!!
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

aaronbocknek wrote: trojans crammed a ton of living space in a little footprint. they were masters of it.
Doubble plus at this fact :D
--
Greetings - Heiner
75 Tri Cabin

Which one?

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

I looked at a F36 conv and loved it. Still wish I bought it. We had a 34 Silverton conv. I liked the sliding door and we enclosed the cockpit with a full enclosure. That gave us so much more room to entertain. Then I looked at the 36 tri cabin loved it, bought it. We are planning in the very near future to move aboard her. We will be moving her to Jax, FL. After spending time on her here, I find I want the 36 conv. Climbing up and down the steps and not being able to get anything thru the entry ways is nothing but a pain in the you know what. Anyone want to trade?
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

We looked at a F32 and loved it. Great looking boat. I always liked the lines. Then we decided to look at tri's (never liked the "tri fly" model) and realized it was way more practical for our boating style. I like the look of our boat but the F32 is a better looking boat IMO. I also like the pre '77 tri with the cockpit for line handling, fish, if desired and the large entry to the aft cabin. I think it looks better as well. Bottom line, two great boats. :wink: