My ammeter installation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

My ammeter installation

Post by P-Dogg »

My 1985 tricabin left the factory without any ammeters installed, something I find incredulous, since I think that there should be some way of indicating how much power you are drawing other than blown breaker method. Wanting to know how much load I as actually drawing from my shore power lines (and my generator as well, when it is in use), I undertook the minor task of replacing the analog volt meters in my panel with digital LCD units that measure and display volts and amps simultaneously. For those of you who may be tempted to do the same, here is my story.

From Ebay, I bought 5 of these meters for $75:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300722663809?ss ... .jpg[/img]
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Looks nice . You did a great job.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

wow great job!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

nice work!!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Great job executing this project! Looks great, You can come install on my boat and we can use two of the 3 left over gauges you have! :wink:
Let me know if you want to sell two of them.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Would you divulge the URL for the source, might want to make a purchase. Although I bet I can obtain similiary from my family that sells for a high tech control company, US, but probably made where you got yours. :?
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Aw shucks guys, thanks. I'm not sure why it didn't show-up as a hot link, but the ebay link is .http://www.ebay.com/itm/300722663809?ss ... 1497.l2649

I bought 5 because I was afraid that they might be POSs. I figured that if I had a spare, at least I would have another meter to put in the new hole I cut in my panel if one went bad. Not shown is the installation of the meter for the generator -- same thing different panel, so I'm down to two spares (but I'm thinking about adding them to my whole-house stand-by generator, so I know how much I can turn on in the house). These meters are sold as buy-it-now or best offer. I offered $75 for 5 because that was the price (each) of the meters that I was finding from commercial sources, who it was suggested, might also get their stuff from China. $75 barely rounds-up to $1 boat dollar, so I figured why not?

I bothered to take the time to document the install with photos because installation of ammeters is something that I think is a). neccessary, and b)., something most people could do, but might be a little intimidated by if they are not used to working with electricity. The only trick is to know where to put the pick-up coil -- it goes on the big wire leading from the breaker that does not go to the volt meter.

If you're not up to doing it yourself, I'd be happy to travel anywhere in CONUS and install a meter for just $10 boat dollars (international and non-CONUS is $15 boat dollars/meter)! Of course, if you're local to the Chesapeake, I might be persuaded to do an install in exchange for a decent striper fishing trip (and all the pale ale I can drink).

My next electrical project -- at least in the panel -- is installation of battery condition meters. I also have a windlass and spotlight on hand to install. Of course, a new bow pulpit is in order, because I don't want to just plop my windlass on the deck and have it look like a hodge-podge of crap up there. I've got a good lead on some teak in Key Largo.....
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

me next, me next!!! i'd like to apply for the 'guy going thru cancer treatment' discount. :wink: :wink: one tri cabin owner to another.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

SHOW OFF! How did you do that?

Hint: Clicking the URL tag and pasting the link after it doesn't work!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Remove the [url] from it after pasting it before and after the link .

When I did a copy and paste the "url " was not there .Why ?? I don't have a clue :shock: I am not computer smart or computer friendly
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Good addition and great looking installation.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

k9th wrote:Good addition and great looking installation.
+1 ill add this site to my goofy little library, there are several good places for these including where I bought my battery gauge for the inverter system, it was so called cheap but a great tool to follow your battery bank for 130$ LED digital as well
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-dog will you be hooking up a 3rd meter for the gen-set ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

thats my understanding as well.