Window Leaking

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Window Leaking

Post by rickalan35 »

The port side windows in the rear bedroom on my TriCabin are allowing water to get into the interior when it rains hard and it is very annoying. Yesterday I took the whole thing apart and currently am:

1. Replacing the water damaged trim.

2. Hopefully ending the leak itself.

Those sliding window tracks on our Trojans were a doggone afterthought by the boys at the factory IMHO and what I'm wondering is this - Has anyone come up with a better solution?? Am I the only guy with this problem??
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

Rick,
On my little 26ft I removed the glass and cleaned the track very well. It seams that dirt gets into the fiber, stopping the water from flowing, allowing it to drip to the inside. Once I did that to mine, unless the rain is horizontal I get nothing on the inside.
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Yeah Rick, I was sort of suspicious it may have been those tracks being partially plugged enough to incur the inside dripping.

On the outside of the boat, I cleaned out the water exit slots (four of 'em) located along the length and near the bottom of the lower steel window frame piece.

So, tonite, I'll see what I can do about cleaning the actual plastic tracks themselves but without removing the windows. I take it that you had to remove the window frame in order to yank out your windows...

I spent the day making new, replacement (and totally waterproof this time) trim pieces for the water damaged interior sections that I removed yesterday and at least got that job done.

Sleeping in the vee bunks tonite.

Thanks

Rick
gopher

Post by gopher »

rick1954 wrote:Rick,
On my little 26ft I removed the glass and cleaned the track very well. It seams that dirt gets into the fiber, stopping the water from flowing, allowing it to drip to the inside. Once I did that to mine, unless the rain is horizontal I get nothing on the inside.

Good tip
Greg
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

Thanks guys, I try once and a wile :lol:
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
dmatz

Post by dmatz »

I've been chasing an aft cabin leak for 2 years. Thought it was back cabin wall, replaced,still leaked. The leak was coming through the headliner mostly in the back where it meets the trim. This year I pulled the headliner down, found the leak actually started in the middle of the side windows and ran down the headliner. Caulked above outside window trim. Still leaked. There is not to many other places it can come from. I caulked the antenna mount and the center attachment for the hand rail and then I noticed there were 2 screws missing from the lower part of the upper bridge windows. It was drilled thru the fiberglass and was for securing the side window. Very likely this is it. I caulked and put screws in. So far it hasn't rained so I can see if it is fixed. Will let you know.
Dave Matz
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

DMatz,

Just finished calking the top of the same side window frame that I assume you did. Mine had a lengthy space though, about 24 inches long where the calking had worn away and I am hoping that I am successful. Now just waiting for the rain. Meanwhile have thrown out my memory foam and am drying out the mattress.....grrrrrr

Rick
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Well............looks like I finally got the leak fixed. yaeee.

It has really poured here twice now and there is NO WATER IN THE REAR BEDROOM! For those of you experiencing a similar situation, there did not need to be a big gaping space between the top of the window frame and the fiberglass to incur a sizable leak - mine was pretty small (1/32 of an inch or so) but two feet long and lots of water came in if it rained hard. Silicone did the trick.

Rick