Boat Leans Forward – Trojan 440 Express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

daveinfl

Boat Leans Forward – Trojan 440 Express

Post by daveinfl »

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1996 Trojan 440 Express and noticed something odd. When docked and standing in the Salon, I noticed the bow leans forward just slightly. I checked stringers up front and can’t find any water.

Is this the design of the boat?

Thanks,

Dave
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

hi dave, aaron in baltimore here. welcome to the forum. at my marina, there are two 440 trojan express by carver (i'm assuming that applies to you as well) docked side by side. i've been on both and to my recollection i do not remember them having a 'forward list'. have you gone over every inch of her to make sure you do not have water trapped somewhere? i'm not really that familiar with that model and i'm wondering if there is a holding tank under the forward cabin floor or berth.
again, welcome to the group.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
thelast322

Post by thelast322 »

I know this is kind of "stupid" but are your fuel tanks empty? Is your anchor rode more heavier than normal.

Welcome to the forum.

Butch I
"Liberty Call"

1991 F32 Crusaders
celebrating 10+years of ownership
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

thelast322 wrote:I know this is kind of "stupid" but are your fuel tanks empty? Is your anchor rode more heavier than normal.

Welcome to the forum.

Butch I
that would make sense butch as this vessel carries 432 gallons of diesel, (heavier than gasoline?) and nearly one hundred gallons of water. i've looked at a number of 'trojan 440 express' cruisers on yachtworld this morning and none that i can see are bow heavy. they rest on their stern as the weight is aft due to the engines on v-drives. nice seeing you online btw. how are you doing. send me an email and we can chat. i'd love to bring you up to date on what's going on w/ me and with dad's continued post surgery progress.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
daveinfl

Post by daveinfl »

Thanks for the tip.
The fuel tanks are equally half full so I ripped up the floor and found something interesting….
Apparently the Fresh Water Tank’s Cap was leaking water into one of the compartments right under the stair case. I estimate possibly 30 Gallons which I have pumped out. I will see if the boat stabilizes now.
The really odd part is no drain between the compartments. (Only down the center of the hull).
Dave
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

ahhhh as i originally surmised...... sitting water somewhere in the boat. i'm surprised that a pump did not activate, unless it's in an area that does not have one. when in doubt look for water that 'should not be there' if the boat is sitting at an odd angle.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Hey Aaron also the two Trojans in our marina have the extended swim platform with davits and hard bottom inflatables which as weight on the stern which could play into how they sit.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Mike Kulp wrote:Hey Aaron also the two Trojans in our marina have the extended swim platform with davits and hard bottom inflatables which as weight on the stern which could play into how they sit.
those platforms are extended? i thought they were the standard ones.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

No when Maxed Out first came to the marina that platform was not on the boat he had it installed.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Mike Kulp wrote:No when Maxed Out first came to the marina that platform was not on the boat he had it installed.

ahhhhhhh. okay. btw... i chased your friend off your canvas this afternoon!!! and phil actually came down and spent the afternoon onboard after stopping at richardsons w/ a nosh for us. who knew? he's actually liking the boat again. maybe.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
jmeirhofer

water in bilge

Post by jmeirhofer »

I have a 97 440 express. When it rains water comes in through the anchor locker and runs down to the center bilge. Same effect as if the water tank is leaking. Anyway I have pumped 30+ gallons out of there and when I have had that issue I still did not have a forward list.

First thing I would do is look at the boot stripe. What is the orientation to that on the water?

BTW, I am at BMC Lighthouse Point. There is another Trojan 440 there but on the other side. What marina has two side by side in Baltimore? Might have to have a 440 Express reunion next year.
1997 Trojan 440 Express
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum Dave
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Re: water in bilge

Post by aaronbocknek »

jmeirhofer wrote:I have a 97 440 express. When it rains water comes in through the anchor locker and runs down to the center bilge. Same effect as if the water tank is leaking. Anyway I have pumped 30+ gallons out of there and when I have had that issue I still did not have a forward list.

First thing I would do is look at the boot stripe. What is the orientation to that on the water?

BTW, I am at BMC Lighthouse Point. There is another Trojan 440 there but on the other side. What marina has two side by side in Baltimore? Might have to have a 440 Express reunion next year.
the marina where i keep my tri cabin has two on the same pier, separated by a large sea ray sundancer. the 440's are behind me to the port side of my boat.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

aaronbocknek wrote:
jmeirhofer wrote:I have a 97 440 express. When it rains water comes in through the anchor locker and runs down to the center bilge. Same effect as if the water tank is leaking. Anyway I have pumped 30+ gallons out of there and when I have had that issue I still did not have a forward list.

the marina where i keep my tri cabin has two on the same pier, separated by a large sea ray sundancer. the 440's are behind me to the port side of my boat.
Uh Aaron, perhaps you could include which marina you're at for John. :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Stripermann2 wrote:
aaronbocknek wrote:

Uh Aaron, perhaps you could include which marina you're at for John. :wink:
YIPES!!! thought i did jamie and john.... 'chemo brain' i guess. i'm still having trouble putting thoughts together at times. really. i'm at PARKSIDE MARINA on edwards lane in middle river, md...
aaron
(marina name added to profile just in case )
http://www.parksideboating.com
aaronbocknek@gmail.com