Recommendations for prop/shaft repair & balance in Chica

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Unchained
Sporadic User

Recommendations for prop/shaft repair & balance in Chica

Post by Unchained »

I have a bent prop and bad cutlass bearing so looking to repair both sides and get them balanced. Any recommendations for places near Chicago that do this?
Mike
1987 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Twin Crusader FWC 454's
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Hello Neighbor

I see you are in Algonquin. Boat kept on Lake Michigan??

I am in Chicago and my Trojan kept at Winthrop Harbor in summer and Larsne Marine in Waukegan for winter.

For props you should be able to find an outfit on the Chain to balance props at a reasonable cost. Better to do it out there than in Chicago.

I had both my cutlass bearings replaced by Larsen Marine to the tune of $1,050.

Price seems high, but they really need to be redone and I noticed the benefits after the repair.

Another option is find a mechanic on the chain who will come to chicagoland marina and do it - but you will have to call him your brother-in-law. I think u know what I mean.

I have a few contacts that you can call - send me private message.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Unchained
Sporadic User

Post by Unchained »

Hey Dave, I found a great place in Chicago called Airmarine, Inc. They have a PropScan machine there and can also check the shafts and couplers. I figure it's best to get it all checked out while it's apart. It sounds like you had some vibration problems too. I'm going to tackle the cutlass bearings, check the logs and repack the stuffing boxes in early spring.
I actually have my Trojan on the chain, lower river, at Ericsons across from Port Edwards. Lots of fun out there, no place like it. My boss has his 11 meter at Burnham harbor so I get out there once in a while too.
Take care.
Mike
1987 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Twin Crusader FWC 454's
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

A Trojan on the chain of lakes???? That is worthy of a post in your honor!!

I laugh cuz I have many friends on the chain and I know the draft is like 6 foot or less in most places!

Yes, as for cutlass bearings, u crawl under neath and shake the shafts. . . . If they move like mine did. . . . Time for new cutlass bearings.

I had them changed in the spring and then the boat went in to water. I didn't have an opportunity to check the work. When she was hauled in the fall I crawled under and grabbed the shafts and none of them moved! That's a good sign! Worthy of the price I paid for a lake michigan marina.

On the chain u should pay half than what I did.

Before my job there was a lot of movement!

Btw my cutlass bearings were from 1978 worthy of replacement.

But on the chain, john sparks he will set u up!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Unchained
Sporadic User

Post by Unchained »

It's nice to have recommendations for people who do good work and ones you can trust. Do you have contact information for him? I do most of the work myself, aside from rebuilding engines and transmissions and fixing props. In my opinion, there are some things that should be left to the professionals. I have enjoyed the many projects so far over the last two years and will create a post next year with some pictures. I'm inspired by other members here, like Todd Pote who has the same 10 meter as mine and sets the bar high taking restoration projects to the extreme. Should be a busy winter again for me. :D

Mike
1987 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Twin Crusader FWC 454's
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

Would that be the "Chain of Lakes"? Got over there a few times for Jet Boat get-togethers. Great to watch the races at Blarneys too!
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

Air marine did my props. They are on central ave in Chicago. Did a great job