Steering Knobs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Steering Knobs

Post by The Dog House »

Does anyone use a steering knob? I'm considering installing one on The Dog House. The main reason is to be able to tell where the rudder is from the position of my steering (left) hand without having to look at the wheel. I can spin the wheel quickly enough now without a knob, but I'm not always sure exactly what the rudder position is without looking down at the wheel.

If you do use a knob, where do you have it positioned on the wheel (top, bottom, 10 o'clock, etc.)?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

well dunno about a knob, would be a bit awkward for me personally

my PO of my boat cut grooves at the 6 oclock and 12 oclock on the wheel for the center, its just a decorative line in the teak that marks the center line. the 12 is one notch and the 6 is 2 notches, so when you turn the wheel ud feel them hit your hand

doesn't really stand out as much as a knob would, seems to me more of a trucker thing to do

hope that helped.
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Currently I have a piece of white tape at the top of the wheel marking the center position. From the center position, it's 1 1/4 turns either way to maximum rudder deflection. The tape works well, but I have to look at it. With a knob I could know by feel and wouldn't have to look.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I had one on a Whaler I had when I was about 14. It came with it when I got it and I left it on there. Never really used it at all.

Do folks really not know what thier rudder angle is while underway? I am having a hard time understanding this. Maybe its just early and I am overlooking an obvious explanation.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Underway is easy to know what the rudder angle is. In close quarters maneuvering when cycling in and out of neutral, I want to set the rudder angle before applying thrust for a short burst. When in neutral and drifting, it's not possible to tell what the rudder angle is by the feel of the wheel. That's where the tape or steering knob really helps.
Commissionpoint
Active User

The Dog House wrote:Underway is easy to know what the rudder angle is. In close quarters maneuvering when cycling in and out of neutral, I want to set the rudder angle before applying thrust for a short burst. When in neutral and drifting, it's not possible to tell what the rudder angle is by the feel of the wheel. That's where the tape or steering knob really helps.
Ahhhh. I see. Single screw. I had to look at what boat you have, somehow in my mind everyone has an F-32/36 or a 10m. I really need to get a grip huh?

Makes all the sense in the world to me now. :D

How about a spot of etch primer topped with a spot of paint on your wheel? Maybe about the size of an orange seed.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I have a small line, 1/8" diameter nylon wrapped around the the wheel to let me know where my rudder is, very easy to find by feel. It's wrapped approximately 1" and has worked well for the past 18yrs. It has not slipped at all. It's at 5 O'Clock on the wheel in the attached photo

Matt

Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

An advantage of the rudder angle indicator is that it tells you where, well, your rudder is. If you have hydraulic leak in the steering, the mark on your wheel will slowly move out of position over time. Or so I've heard.......
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote:An advantage of the rudder angle indicator is that it tells you where, well, your rudder is. If you have hydraulic leak in the steering, the mark on your wheel will slowly move out of position over time. Or so I've heard.......

True , even a small internal leak , and if you have dual stations the first time you use the other helm it will be off .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Plus that, my tri-cabin goes 2.75 turns either direction to full deflection from center (5 1/2 full turns from one side to the other). No way to use a fixed mark on the wheel.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

My friends gave me a steering knob for my birthday years ago, it had a condem in it. Guess what brand? Kept the knob works great.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Is The Dog House mechanical or hydraulic being a 1971?
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Most likely cable , but things could have been changed over the years
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Commissionpoint wrote:Is The Dog House mechanical or hydraulic being a 1971?
The Dog House is mechanical. From center to full deflection is 1 1/4 turns. With a knob, I figure I can keep my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand dancing between the transmission and throttle. Next year I hope to replace the split controls with a Morse MT-3 combination control box, and then it will be left hand on the wheel and right hand on the throttle.