Oversized swim platform? how big can I go?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

Oversized swim platform? how big can I go?

Post by K4282 »

my teak platform was the wrong one on my F32, I sold it and want to have a oversized fiberglass one made, as big as possible, how big can I go? I dont want drag obviously.ImageImageImage
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

following another post i contacted plasteck, i got a quote of $2200 for a 12x3 which will probably be the way i go
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Make sure whatever you decide you have proper support and structure where you mount it. The further out from the transom that the edge of the platform is, the more force will be applied to the mounting when weight/mass (a person for instance) is on the platform. This force will increase exponentially the further the weight is from the edge of the transom. (The fulcrum principal)

You might want to look around bone yards in RI. You may find a platform off another boat that will suit your needs with some slight modifications. Its a way you could potentially save some serious dough if you can find something that will work for you.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Oversized swim platform? how big can I go?

Post by Big D »

K4282 wrote:....how big can I go?....
That's a tough question to answer. There are so many variables involved. Would be nice to have feedback from someone that has already done this and after running and used for a while has been able to determine that the design/size works successfully with no long term side affects.

The bigger you go, the more it will flex so supports will need to be beefier. If big enough, you'll likely need to raise it to keep it out of the water when the hull is at a certain attitude like getting on plane, depends on hieght now. Minimizing flexing is paramount or you will damage the transom. You only have so much transom below the platform for support members. This reduces the attachment point distance from the transom out if you are to keep the supports at a preffered 45 deg. for maximum stability. To keep that attachment point on a platform that extends beyond that, you'd need to mount a support from the transom to the edge as there probably is now but it would have to be strong enough so the end doesn't flex even though the support is a foot or more forward. I've done this (not on a Trojan) with 1/4 inch aluminum H channel, can't remember the width. You'll also want to beef up the mounting surfaces on the transom, I used large 1/4 inch aluminum plates on the outside and the inside as backing, all through-bolted. Finally, you need to consider the added weight on the transom. Before doing anything, ensure the transom core is in good shape. Ask the supplier how much the new unit will weigh. A well built glass platform can get pretty heavy.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Commissionpoint
Active User

Get out of my head Big D! ;)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Commissionpoint wrote:Get out of my head Big D! ;)
No! It was fun in there until I came across all the images of snow! I'm in Florida for a few more days so I can do without those 'till I get back home :wink:
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Plasteak - http://www.plasteak.com/pla ... latforms is the link i found on another thread. its poly, not glass, should be light weight and comes with ladder and mounting hardware. they have done one for a 10 meter, never a f32 the 10 meter they did a 2.5 foot one...i want to go as big ass possible...
Commissionpoint
Active User

Big D wrote:
Commissionpoint wrote:Get out of my head Big D! ;)
No! It was fun in there until I came across all the images of snow! I'm in Florida for a few more days so I can do without those 'till I get back home :wink:
We don't have a 'thanks' or 'like' button. So this will have to do. :D
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

K4282 wrote:...Plasteak...-recycled-plastic-products...
I've used the synthetic stuff on decks and tops of swim platforms but can't comment on using it for platform construction. If you use your platform alot; sit, stand on bare footed, etc. you need to know that this type of product gets very hot in the sun.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

even white? was planning on getting plain white, i sit out there with a beer most of the summer haha
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

K4282 wrote:even white?....
Good question, don't know. Never used the white stuff. Makes sense that it wouldn't be as hot but I think the colour alone isn't the only determining factor in how hot a given material gets. It's physical properties also play a roll in heat absorption and dissipation. I know my real teak platform and decks are much cooler then the plastic stuff even though similar in colour. You can probably Google search the subject and see if you can find someone using the product that has an opinion on the white stuff. Let us know if you find any useful info on whether the white stuff has the same issues with heat.
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

Hi K4282...

take a peak at some of these pics...might help you in some way.

I made this set up for my F25.5, same transom dimensions as the later F26.

Made with a full 96" x 48" x 1" sheet of Densitek (Starboard) - very easy to work with.

The side skirts were the off cuts from the curve of the transom...waste knot want knot!

As for getting up on plane...no problem - the platform is mounted at 9" above the waterline....on plane its way up and out of the water and is not affected (not dragging) by fast hard turns.

1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Paul - SW Ontario wrote:...Made with a full 96" x 48" x 1" sheet....the platform is mounted at 9" above the waterline....on plane its way up and out of the water and is not affected (not dragging) by fast hard turns....
Good info Paul. What did that cost you, about $500 for the sheet?
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

Big D wrote:
Paul - SW Ontario wrote:...Made with a full 96" x 48" x 1" sheet....the platform is mounted at 9" above the waterline....on plane its way up and out of the water and is not affected (not dragging) by fast hard turns....
Good info Paul. What did that cost you, about $500 for the sheet?
The sheet cost me $345 taxes included.

The 1" SS tubing were once my original deck railing...again...nothing wasted.

Also sold my original teak platform with the aluminum angle supports for $300, so I did pretty good overall with the pocketbook.
1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

Awesome swim platform!!

I love the SS storage bins

What is the round mounting plate on port side? does that hold post for bbq or chair?

Are all your supports thru-bolted?

is it a full 48" deep or did you cut the sheet back some?
1985 13 Meter International Express w/ 8v71tti 462hp Detroits, 43' x 16'3"