Moving to Lake Lanier

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aweimer
Moderate User

Moving to Lake Lanier

Post by aweimer »

So my work is finally moving me to Atlanta. This means i'm moving "Keep it up" to Lake Lanier! I'm hoping for the best, going from the Great Lakes to what i consider an inland lake will be different. It looks pretty big and i'm hoping it is as much fun.

I'm looking for any folks here that may be in the area, what is a good family friendly marina in this area? I'm used to the good life in lake Erie at Anchor Pointe marina with the swimming pool and resturant right at the boat. Based on my research it doesn't look like i will be finding a marina with a pool in Lanier, at least i have not found one yet.

Looking for suggestions. Also any suggestions on a moving company? Anyone here had good luck with someone? I'm imagining i'm going to be removing the Windshield from her as well as the Radar Arch.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Re: Moving to Lake Lanier

Post by aaronbocknek »

wait, i thought you were moving to baltimore? at least that was the plan last year. anyway, when dad had BUBALA 3 shipped from dc to san diego, he indeed had to have the windshield removed and it was either placed on the fore deck or aft deck. i cannot remember were exactly right now. and the arch will have to come down too. you may want to remove the props maybe the rudders too. he also had her completely shrink wrapped to for her cross country trek. when it comes time to rebed the windshield, either use butyl tape like was done at the factory or a really good bedding compound as the through bolts may leak once reattached.
good luck w/ the move. of course, you will have to post pics of her on the transport and in her new home.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

Yeah i almost did move to Baltimore, ended up passing up on it. Atlanta is for sure though, found our last thursday.

I'm excited and disappointed all at the same time about this move. I love the current marina, and vast great lakes. But I guess there is a bit more to do and closer on lake lanier. Still large enough for a long cruise, and small enough to run to dinner without a 20mile round trip.

Hoping someone here is in the lake and can suggest a good dock. Appears to be ~$4k a year which isn't terrible if I don't have to winterize it. I'm paying $1300/season plus $2k for inside storage today. A few dollars more for 365 day usage is worth it.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

We are on Lake Hartwell in Anderson, SC, about 1.5 hr from Lanier. Alot goes on over there for sure. Lots of boat traffic. There is Holiday marina and Aqualand marina and couple more. I haven't been there but everyone talks alot about Holiday. One thing you need to watch out for is lake water levels. Make sure you ask about how far down the lake can go down before they have a problem. A few years back it went down around 20' and some of the marinas were bone dry! Same goes on at our lake here. We just where down 15', but recent rain and we are 9.5 down. The lake is run by Army Corp Of Engineers always a pain in the butt. Lots of parties over there. When we transported our tri cabin fron NC to SC the only thing I needed to do was remove the windshield. I took it all apart and put them on the aft beds. We didn't have to remove props or rudders. I have friends that lived and had businesses over there, if you have any questions ask me and I will try to get them answered for you. I can send you the number of the guy who moved mine and alot of other boats to the GA and SC area. He knows just about every where to put a boat in at these lakes.
Jack
Hartwell Marina, Hartwell GA.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Consider this as an alternative...
Cruising the Tennessee river out of a Chattanooga marina.... just a short run up I75 and way more places to visit.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tenness ... 00&bih=813

Look at both waterways on Google Earth to get a feel for the kind of boating..... I see lots of pontoon, day boats and bass boats at Lanier.... the Tenn. marinas are mostly covered and house bigger boats for weekend outings.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i live in soddy daisy tn which is apx 15 minutes north of chattanooga
if it were me i would be willing to drive 2 hrs and get on the tennessee river as i am. lake lanier is land locked and has had issues with water levels for sure the last few years. being on the river we can cruise anywhere we want from here even to the gulf if we wanted, just dont know if i would enjoy being land locked. my yearly slip fee is $2760 covered 16x36. might be a great lake during the week but i have heard many times how crowded it gets on the weekends.
side note: were moving up and looks like i will be joining the carver crowd soon and will be parting with my much loved f32
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

g36 wrote:being on the river we can cruise anywhere we want from here even to the gulf if we wanted, just dont know if i would enjoy being land locked. my yearly slip fee is $2760 covered 16x36.
Travel to the Gulf, which I have just done from Scottsboro, AL (a little further down the Tennessee River) to Punta Gorda, FL 1,310 miles, 140.8 hrs and 630.34 gallons (diesel) includes 58hrs on the genny.
Oh, and you can boat ALL year long on the Tennessee river...... quite different to the Great Lakes.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

Here is the mover we use and most of the marinas know him. Very careful with your boat. Highly recommended. The move to TN is a good possibility for sure, just depends if you want to fight traffic on Friday heading out. It all depends on where in Atlana you end up living. Anything but north of Atlanta is real tough to get going to TN on Friday, until later after rush hours. God help you if it's raining.

The Boat Exchange
1652 Lake Murray Blvd
Columbia, SC
803 732 7424
803 429 6947
His name is Rick. He moved us from Lake Wiley to Lake Harwell.
Jack
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I do hear the water levels fluxuate a lot on lanier too. I'm targeting a marina with deep water docks (65-70'), hope there isn't that much movement!
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

Na you will be fine. We will be in serious trouble if it gets where that marina would be in trouble. Water here has gone from 16' below to now at 7' below. They put our gangways back on the mounts and off the ground where they were. Pray it keeps raining to have full pool by May. Give me a shout when you get set with the boat at the marina, I get over there every now and then.
Jack
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

So here is a odd question. I know relocation costs (for a job) are tax deductible but does that include moving a boat?
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

summer storm wrote:So here is a odd question. I know relocation costs (for a job) are tax deductible but does that include moving a boat?
That depends on how sharp your accountants PENCIL is. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

The company will move 2 vehicles as part of the package.

Well i just have one LARGE vehicle. :P

We will see. I've gotten estimates from some shippers on uship.com and its ~$3500-$4000 including the arch and window removal/install.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH